1967 Vananti II side emblems or not

Ryunker

Hi, I have a 67 Avanti II, The car was painted at the avanti plant in indiana (have reciepts for complete paint work) but seams as if there used to be emblems on the upper section of the 1/4 panels that may have looked like the hood ornament. It appears as if the mounting holes were filled and since then have shrunk. Any ideas or pictures of such emblems? I have heard that the early 60's stude models had some, but have not seen pictures or heard tails of the Avanti II's at all. If you have any info on this at all please post.

Rich Yunker

All Studebaker Avanti's had the sail panel emblems (or "Pirate's Buckles" as some called them). Early Avanti II's had them (and the hood emblem) with the "S" blacked out. At some point Avanti Motors deleted the hood and sail panel emblems. Whether they deleted them due to the inventory being depleted or simply to save costs and to clean up the exterior a bit is unknown to me. Early Avanti II's used leftover Studebaker bodies so the mounting holes would have been there and needed filling if the emblems had been deleted before the original bodies had been used.

Your car could have had the emblems and a previous owner could have deleted them and filled in the holes or Avanti Motors could have when the car was assembled.

BTW - Studebaker International (maybe some other vendors) has reproduction emblems if you would want to have them.

Edited by Gunslinger

So the emblems on the 1/4 the S was blacked out? Paint? or different emblems? Also on my '67 the panel in the back seat still has the "S" there....

Rich

All Studebaker Avanti's had the sail panel emblems (or "Pirate's Buckles" as some called them). Early Avanti II's had them (and the hood emblem) with the "S" blacked out. At some point Avanti Motors deleted the hood and sail panel emblems. Whether they deleted them due to the inventory being depleted or simply to save costs and to clean up the exterior a bit is unknown to me. Early Avanti II's used leftover Studebaker bodies so the mounting holes would have been there and needed filling if the emblems had been deleted before the original bodies had been used.

Your car could have had the emblems and a previous owner could have deleted them and filled in the holes or Avanti Motors could have when the car was assembled.

BTW - Studebaker International (maybe some other vendors) has reproduction emblems if you would want to have them.

I believe Avanti Motors merely painted the emblem black to block the view of the "S". It seems it would have made more sense to delete the emblems from the beginning but I can't say what their reasoning was. My '70 has the emblem on the rear seat back panel but it's covered with upholstery the car was done in to hide it. Again, it seems more sensible to have deleted it and simply filled it in and covered it with upholstery.

Hi Rich,

We have a 67 Avanti too. (RQA-0242) Sorry, I can't answer your questions about the emblems, our car has had some upgrades and modifications over the years, (including a re-paint about 15 years ago) but your post made me a little curious. Your profile at the beginning of the post says you have a 66, which would seem to make more sense, given the VIN. I have been told more than once that the Avanti Corporation only put out 66 cars in 1967. So my question is, do you have two Avanti II's? Even if my car was the last one built in 67 that would put the number of the first one at RQA-0176. Just curious.

Charlie

It's pretty futile to try and decipher the production numbers of Avanti Motors. There are the numbers of cars built (completed), cars actually sold, and the VINs didn't always match the production and sales figures as cars didn't always get completed in numerical order of VIN. There's also totals of the model year vs. calendar year. Cars built to order could and probably were jumped ahead for completion as opposed to cars built on spec for inventory purposes. I believe all printed figures are accurate as far as they go, but there's several different ways of coming to those totals.

The car I have (father in laws) is 1967 per title, he has owned it since 1988, prevoius 10 years was a man in Peru, in. and prior (original owner I think) was in Brownsburg IN, I am trying to track them down to get further if there is any history on this car.

I did purchase the side emblems, have not painted the "S" black yet, but I plan to and re attach them to the car. I have the invoices for when "Avanti" repainted the car in 19080 but they are getting hard to read to see if it was requested to remove such emblems.

Rich

By the way I can not find anywhere to change the profile thing to '67, any idease please let me know.

Rich

Edited by Ryunker