New Avanti Owner - engine rebuild project

Andrew Maszczak

Just a quick post to say hi.  Recently purchase a 1964 R1 and joined the forum.  The engine is my first project.  The original is a little tired, but still holding its own. I would like to start a project to build a  new one.  Can anyone recommend a starting point.  Does it have to be a R-motor or can a motor from another model be used.  Say a Lark or the like? 

Edited by Andrew Maszczak

Welcome to the AOAI Forum!  How will you be using the Avanti?  If you are going to use it gently and for occasional use, just freshen up the existing engine (depending on what it needs, such as valve stem seals).  Any mid-1962 to 1964 Studebaker V8 CAN be built to replace your R1 or can be simply bolted in and used as is.  When you say "rebuild", that means different things to different people.  To me, it means at least replacing everything that is worn beyond specification.  I would estimate a rebuild of your engine to be in the $3500-$4K USD range.  I used to own 5176.  It was one of the Allstate cars.  Yours is probably a little too early to be one (without looking it up).  I suggest keeping your '64 close to stock, but that is your decision.    

Thanks you very much for the help.  

My intention is to have it as an occasional car and would like to keep it as original as possible.  So the freshen up is the ideal situation.  But if not, I was wondering what I could use as a starting point to build something new.  So thanks for the advice.

On a side note, I have never heard of a Leonberger.  So I took the time to look them up.  Magnificent.  I bet they give great cuddles.

9 hours ago, Andrew Maszczak said:

Just a quick post to say hi.  Recently purchase a 1964 R1 and joined the forum.  The engine is my first project.  The original is a little tired, but still holding its own. I would like to start a project to build a  new one.  Can anyone recommend a starting point.  Does it have to be a R-motor or can a motor from another model be used.  Say a Lark or the like? 

A Studebaker Lark or Hawk V8, either a 259CI or 289CI, can indeed be used as a starting point for a replacement engine rebuild project for your Avanti.....The best candidates being  62 1/2 thru the 1964 Studebaker V8 engines, which have a full-flow oiling system with spin-on oil filter .......same as the original R1 and R2 Avanti V8's.

Welcome to the world of Avantis, and the AOAI Forum!!.....Ed

All, '62-64 full-flow blocks are the same, even those built as 259"s.  However, don't buy a 259" as your core; 289" crankshafts are getting expensive, so buy a complete core.

When you get to that point, there are options.  The R1 10.25 compression is too high for today's pump gas.  The good news is semi-dished pistons are available to lower the compression for the same price as the original flat top pistons.

If one has never rebuilt a Studebaker V8, there are many small but critically important steps which are different than a small block Chevy.

Do you drive your Avanti in the winter?  If not, save yourself the cost of the core and add to the value of the car by rebuilding the original engine.  (If you're thinking of DIY, plan to lose at least one summer season of driving, because home rebuilds never proceed as smoothly or as rapidly as one would wish.)

jack vines

Edited by PackardV8

3 hours ago, PackardV8 said:

All, '62-64 full-flow blocks are the same, even those built as 259"s.  However, don't buy a 259" as your core; 289" crankshafts are getting expensive, so buy a complete core.

jack vines

I diagree!...A 259CI Studebaker V8 would be a fine 'interim' engine for a Studebaker Avanti, while the owner takes his time overhauling the Avanti's original engine.

Actually, the shorter stroke, smoother running 259 is probably the finest V8 engine Studebaker produced. (IMHO):)

Thanks everyone for your comments.  It all helps to put a picture together on where to start.  The challenge is getting hold of a reasonable second hand engine here in Australia.  There are plenty of old Larks around and that will probably where I'll find and old motor.

Edited by Andrew Maszczak

• 2 months later...

We just rebuilt our R1

New everything including b;lock, heads, crank, cam valves.. you name it

I would recommedn using all your original parts if you can.  Highly recommend Phil Harris of Fairborn Studebaker for parts and guidance

He is terrific

Keith Wahl

12 minutes ago, studequest said:

We just rebuilt our R1

New everything including b;lock, heads, crank, cam valves.. you name it

I would recommedn using all your original parts if you can.  Highly recommend Phil Harris of Fairborn Studebaker for parts and guidance

He is terrific

Keith Wahl

With a new block, heads, crank, etc., you didn't rebuild it, you built a new engine.