Front seat suggestions

okc63avanti

I'd like to replace my 63 original bucket seats with something that has a higher back that is safer and more comfortable. The trick is finding something that looks right instead of really out of place. If anyone had customized or modified and original Stude using a seat from anything else that is readily available and is not too expensive (i.e. $1000's for Ricardo) please post your suggestions and pics if you have some.

Thanks,

A friend installed seats in his 1964 R1, out of a late model Chrysler, (1999 I think). They are high back, with the 3 point seatbelts built into them. He had to fabricate new mounting brackets,but all in all the job went well, and the seats look great in his car. He also had the seats reupholstered to look like the 1964 style material.

Look at Procar seats Procar seats. They have a number of custom seats and they also list adapters for Avanti's in their catalog.

Gunslinger,

Thanks the Rally style and Elite style might be a good possibility. Overall height is around 30.5" to 32" probably 6" to 10" over original Stude seat heigh (anyone known the dimension of original Stude seat from base to top? Do you know if the adapter they sale in their catalog will work on an original Stude Avanti vs. post Stude Avanti.

If anyone has installed the ProCar seats in your Avanti please post a picture or e-mail with one.

Thanks,

The adapters they list should work on any Avanti up to about 1985...the original Stude frame and body dimensions were used until then. I replaced the high back bucket seats in my '70 with Recaro's and there is plenty of clearance for them, though the "wings" of the seat back do intrude on the console cover a bit, making it a bit tough to open.

You should talk to Procar about it...make sure the seats also come with the sliders that the adapters will bolt to. If not, you'll need them as well.

The adapters they list should work on any Avanti up to about 1985...the original Stude frame and body dimensions were used until then. I replaced the high back bucket seats in my '70 with Recaro's and there is plenty of clearance for them, though the "wings" of the seat back do intrude on the console cover a bit, making it a bit tough to open.

You should talk to Procar about it...make sure the seats also come with the sliders that the adapters will bolt to. If not, you'll need them as well.

Thanks again,

Anybody seen these seats, I found this in Bob Johnstone's registry for R4022 (listing from sale ad) These seats have a push button release in the side near top.

r4022l.jpg

Based on assumptions here are some of the possibilities, if anyone has experience with these choices please respond or contact me, thanks.

From ProCar: Rally seat & Elite Lumbar

Rally_51.jpgEliteLumbar_51.jpg

From Corbeau: sport seat

SportSeat-90009-F-L.jpg

And a 2000 Camaro seat (Late 90's to early 2000's look similar)

2000CamaroSeats.jpg

I appreciate everyone's feed back ... thanks, John

Thanks again,

Anybody seen these seats, I found this in Bob Johnstone's registry for R4022 (listing from sale ad) These seats have a push button release in the side near top.

r4022l.jpg

Those are the standard high back bucket seats Avanti Motors started installing with the "RQB" series in 1970. Their advertising referred to them as "Command Center" bucket seats. I had them in my '70 and eventually replaced with with a set of Recaro's. Those high backs fit the same as the Studebaker seats and use the same floor brackets. Any "RQB" Avanti will have them unless equipped with the later optional Recaro's or a custom retrofit.

Based on assumptions here are some of the possibilities, if anyone has experience with these choices please respond or contact me, thanks.

From ProCar: Rally seat & Elite Lumbar

Rally_51.jpgEliteLumbar_51.jpg

From Corbeau: sport seat

SportSeat-90009-F-L.jpg

And a 2000 Camaro seat (Late 90's to early 2000's look similar)

2000CamaroSeats.jpg

I appreciate everyone's feed back ... thanks, John

I can tell you with the Rally seat on the left, while they may well be comfortable once in, that high seat cushion "wing" will create difficulty getting in the car and sliding your thigh under a stock steering wheel...even worse if you have thick thighs like me. The Elite Lumbar would be a much better choice.

I don't remember who, but there was someone who installed a pair of Ford Explorer power seats in an Avanti. It's in a back issue of Avanti Magazine. Maybe someone knows which issue.

John

You probably know this already but you will need to be careful about the seat height off the floor. I'm 6'3" and anything higher than the current type of seat would not allow me to sit properly in the car. I have a great set of 2007 Acura TL seats in my 54K but there is no way they would work for me in the 83 Avanti. 

Just a thought, Bob

A friend installed seats in his 1964 R1, out of a late model Chrysler, (1999 I think). They are high back, with the 3 point seatbelts built into them. He had to fabricate new mounting brackets,but all in all the job went well, and the seats look great in his car. He also had the seats reupholstered to look like the 1964 style material.

I did the same with my '63. They are leather that I dyed black to match the rears. The uphostry pattern matched so well they could be factory. The built-in shoulder harness resulted in a clear rear floor, very neat. The driver seat is power. You must get seats from a two door model so they fold forward. They did result in a higher seating position, but if you're 6 feet or under, they work. They are fairly firm, but quite comfortable.

Guys ... thanks for all of your input.

I had a call back from ProCar salesman and the "Rally and Lumbar Elite" seats run about $280 uncovered and $340 covered in vinyl each. Then the mounting adapters for the Avanti or $99 /each. I think that's more that I want to pay right now. If I could fine a nice set of use Avanti II high back buckets from a parted out car that would work but I'm thinking the late model Camaro seats (see below) could be found at a salvage yard for $50~$75 each then I could cover them to match the rest of my new interior. I'm thinking keeping the same pleating pattern in Camaro seats as its similar to Avanti style and then maybe having Avanti script style logo embroidered into the head rest area would look fantastic.

2000CamaroSeats.jpg

I installed 2001 Trans Am seats in my '81. I am 6'2" and 260 pounds (all muscle! Ha!). I wanted plenty of legroom, so, after a long afternoon of trying, retrying, checking fore/aft with the power seat, height, side to side to just clear the storage box, seat belt mounting, etc. etc. I got it right for me.

I re-did the process with the passenger seat, and if I recall I repositioned the side to side a little further away from center for better elbow room. The drivers side was more towards the center of the car due to lining up with the center of the steering column.

I carefully drilled new holes in the floor, and using some steel plate, made a sandwich deal for the mounts. No vibration, and I believe they are safely mounted, due to the steel plate sandwich technique.

Paul

I installed 2001 Trans Am seats in my '81. I am 6'2" and 260 pounds (all muscle! Ha!). I wanted plenty of legroom, so, after a long afternoon of trying, retrying, checking fore/aft with the power seat, height, side to side to just clear the storage box, seat belt mounting, etc. etc. I got it right for me.

I re-did the process with the passenger seat, and if I recall I repositioned the side to side a little further away from center for better elbow room. The drivers side was more towards the center of the car due to lining up with the center of the steering column.

I carefully drilled new holes in the floor, and using some steel plate, made a sandwich deal for the mounts. No vibration, and I believe they are safely mounted, due to the steel plate sandwich technique.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

Any pictures ?

I'd like to replace my 63 original bucket seats with something that has a higher back that is safer and more comfortable. The trick is finding something that looks right instead of really out of place. If anyone had customized or modified and original Stude using a seat from anything else that is readily available and is not too expensive (i.e. $1000's for Ricardo) please post your suggestions and pics if you have some.

Thanks,

Actually I have a pair of Recaro's in my wife's Avanti that will be available very shortly. They are a newer design and are black AND there is a rear seat that is upholstered is a very similar pattern also available. I can get pictures to you. send me your email address. Of course shipping from California is not cheap, but I'm not going to be piggish about the price........I'd prefer to see them get put to good use.

Chuck S.