Serial Number of my 1963 Avanti

studegary

I do not remember the Serial Number of my 1963 Avanti.  I owned it sometime during the 1969 to 1976 time frame.  I bought it in New York City from Art Rust Jr., who I believe was the original owner. For those that do not know, my name is Gary Lindstrom.  Hopefully, someone has something from AOAI, SDC or elsewhere that has the S/N linked to me and/or Mr. Rust ( a sportscaster in NY).  You may either post the S/N here or send it to me privately.  

I remember my 1964 Avanti as being 5176 and my 1987 Avanti as being 0006.  Perhaps I could learn of the current owners and locations of all three Avantis.  

1 hour ago, 1963r2 said:

Gary

I bought a 63 Avanti  out of NY and it was full of rust if that is any help.

pb

I know that you are trying to be funny, but no, that does not help because I sold my Avanti to a guy from the Virginia area and he had me put it on a lift to check for rust before he bought it. 

On 12/28/2019 at 9:21 PM, studegary said:

I do not remember the Serial Number of my 1963 Avanti.  I owned it sometime during the 1969 to 1976 time frame.  I bought it in New York City from Art Rust Jr., who I believe was the original owner. For those that do not know, my name is Gary Lindstrom.  Hopefully, someone has something from AOAI, SDC or elsewhere that has the S/N linked to me and/or Mr. Rust ( a sportscaster in NY).  You may either post the S/N here or send it to me privately.  

I remember my 1964 Avanti as being 5176 and my 1987 Avanti as being 0006.  Perhaps I could learn of the current owners and locations of all three Avantis.  

Gary, to begin with, You should list the following info, as best as you can remember....This would help 'zero in' on that particular Studebaker Avanti....................

1) We already know it's a '63 model (round light)

2) Exterior Color ?

3) Auto or standard trans ?

4) R1 or R2 ?

5) Power steering or manual ?

6) Custom wheels, or stock wheels and caps ?

7) Interior color...(fawn & ...?...)

8 Deluxe or Regal interior ?

9) Anything unusual or out of the ordinary about this particular Avanti?

I was figuring that someone had the '63 listed in a roster, meet event, etc. with my name.  During the time that I owned these three Avantis, I belonged to AOAI and I showed all three at SDC/AOAI Meets.   

Ed - To answer some of your questions: 1 - round light '63, 2 - I believe that it was built as a turquoise car, but the original owner (Art Rust Jr.) had a color change to brown done on the car. 3 - AT, 4 - R1, 5 - PS, 6) stock wheels and wheelcovers, 7 &  8 - I don't remember (I'm not usually good at colors), 9 -  brown exterior.

That the exterior color was changed may alert someone that they have your 'old' Avanti....It wouldn't surprise me if that Avanti (if indeed it still exists) has been re-painted its original 'Avanti Turquoise' color.....Hopefully, the present owner will notice this post!

Although the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum has lost many members, including myself, what with that awful new format and the administrator's overbearing, unilateral antics, it still might be a good idea to place a post there. (if you haven't already)...... Someone in the Virginia area just might remember the car....Good luck with this Gary!:)

Edited by mfg

On 12/30/2019 at 8:19 PM, studegary said:

I was figuring that someone had the '63 listed in a roster, meet event, etc. with my name.

Chances of a vehicle serial number being shown would be far greater in a registry than a membership roster, provided someone started one for Studebaker Avantis.  Do you remember anyone asking you to submit information on your Avanti including the serial number?  And if you were asked, did you cooperate and submit it?  If so, you can hope someone will come forward who may have an old copy.

Vehicle rosters don't usually state more than the year, model, and body style.  

Craig

Craig - For one, the AOAI Rosters list Avantis by Serial Number.  I would have submitted the S/N for the Avanti that I owned each time that I joined/rejoined AOAI, but joining did not always coincide with my Avanti ownership.  I only have one AOAI Roster here and I am not even listed in that one.  

Another place that the S/N was probably listed was each time that I sold one of my Avantis (have sold other Avantis that were not my personal property).  For Avantis, the S/N is usually given. 

Gary, I have AOAI Rosters from 1971 and I think the next one published in 1976 and your name is not listed in any of them. But, I did find a

Herbert Ross from NY City who listed his car as serial number QB1975 and color "BE" .I'll keep looking for you.

16 minutes ago, Luma said:

Gary, I have AOAI Rosters from 1971 and I think the next one published in 1976 and your name is not listed in any of them. But, I did find a

Herbert Ross from NY City who listed his car as serial number QB1975 and color "BE" .I'll keep looking for you.

On the SDC Forum, I had my memory refreshed that my 1963 Avanti was 63R3480.

Now I just would like to know the current owners and locations of my three Avantis (63R3480, R5176, ---006).

On 1/10/2020 at 9:23 PM, studegary said:

On the SDC Forum, I had my memory refreshed that my 1963 Avanti was 63R3480.

Now I just would like to know the current owners and locations of my three Avantis (63R3480, R5176, ---006).

Thank you 'Luma' ....I believe your post reminded Gary he failed to mention that he had indeed found the serial # for the '63 Avanti. :rolleyes:

Edited by mfg