74’ Avanti

NHcamper

58 minutes ago, NHcamper said:

Just came up on eBay. Looks good for the money?

Not to me.  Even if you do your own work, you will be upside down in the car with just paint and upholstery.  

10 minutes ago, studegary said:

Not to me.  Even if you do your own work, you will be upside down in the car with just paint and upholstery.  

You must be referring to some other Avanti Gary:blink:!!....A good inside/outside cleaning would do wonders for the '74 which is currently listed on e-bay.

Solid 'troughs' and a later engine are further 'pluses' found on this car:)

27 minutes ago, mfg said:

You must be referring to some other Avanti Gary:blink:!!....A good inside/outside cleaning would do wonders for the '74 which is currently listed on e-bay.

Solid 'troughs' and a later engine are further 'pluses' found on this car:)

How about the dash and the chrome?  You can not replace missing paint with any "cleaning".  

9 minutes ago, studegary said:

How about the dash and the chrome?  You can not replace missing paint with any "cleaning".  

It's true that this '74 Avanti is not a show car, however, I see quite a bit of potential in it.

I guess some folks see the glass as half full (me).....Others may see it as half empty (you) :rolleyes:!

16 minutes ago, mfg said:

It's true that this '74 Avanti is not a show car, however, I see quite a bit of potential in it.

I guess some folks see the glass as half full (me).....Others may see it as half empty (you) :rolleyes:!

I also see potential in it.  It was the "looks good for the money"" question that I was responding to - negatively, IMO.

Let's see how it does on eBay. 

EDIT:  I just realized that it is a sale price with a make an offer option and not an eBay auction.  If someone does not have a lot of transportation costs involved with the purchase, they may "bite" on it.  

Edited by studegary

12 hours ago, studegary said:

EDIT:  I just realized that it is a sale price with a make an offer option and not an eBay auction.  If someone does not have a lot of transportation costs involved with the purchase, they may "bite" on it.  

Yes, you sure can't get all that much car in the $5,000 range anymore!:(

I’ve always been a diamond in the rough kind of guy, if it runs and drives I’m a sucker. You should see my 66 Impala convertible had it five plus years put about 10,000 miles on it, cosmetically not a gem but looks like it should be in a junk yard somewhere, my wife did not ride in it the first four years I owned it lol. My point is if it’s in your price range and you like it why not. Life is short you might as well enjoy it. Lol

23 hours ago, NHcamper said:

I’ve always been a diamond in the rough kind of guy, if it runs and drives I’m a sucker. You should see my 66 Impala convertible had it five plus years put about 10,000 miles on it, cosmetically not a gem but looks like it should be in a junk yard somewhere, my wife did not ride in it the first four years I owned it lol. My point is if it’s in your price range and you like it why not. Life is short you might as well enjoy it. Lol

Depending on the buyer, Yup! good buy. It's strengths are the engine/trans upgrade and solid troughs as long as they are in good shape as stated. The first thing I want to know is how does the interior small. If moldy, it takes a fair bit to remediate it, ask me how I know. 

It will need a full paint job and a lot of interior work so if you are going to hire that out runaway, runaway fast. I'm pretty sure it's had at least one repaint and that would suggest a complete strip and repaint will be required.

If the buyer can do it all himself and not charge himself for his time, it could be a nice driver for under $10K including the purchase price. My 74 was a bit worse and I'll bet I've got under $10K in total money in it but if I paid myself $20/hr for what I did, it would probably be a $50K car.