Rear spring blocks.

Alan Blalock

Good morning. As I get acclimated with my 1964 Avanti, I have noticed that the rear leaf springs have rather large blocks attatched with what seem to be longer than normal u-bolts. Are these original equipment pieces or maybe aftermarket parts? These give the car a small rakish appearance, and other Avanti's I have seen also appear to have a similar stance. If they are O.E. I am curious as to the reasoning, and are they necessary for clearance or such. Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you, Alan Blalock

Hi Alan, If the blocks are between the rear axle and the leaf spring, then they are most probably lowering blocks, which would also account for the extra long u-bolts.

I've never seen anyone lower the rear end of an Avanti before, but perhaps someone in the distant past didn't like the typical 'nose down' rake which most Studebaker Avantis normally have, and decided to try and level the car by installing lowering blocks at the rear axle....Once again, a picture of this would be helpful. (and interesting!):)

Yes, that explanation sounds correct. When I measure the difference between the front and the rear the rear is only 2 3/4" higher,so it does have a moderate downward slope in the front, but it looks natural to me. I will attempt to post pictures when I find out how to do it. I guess I will leave the blocks in since they made no significant difference in rideability. Thank you for your help.  Alan

Do the springs look relatively new, compared to the rest of the rear end? If so, the previous owner may have had new springs made and afterwards the rear end stuck up too high, so they lowered it with blocks. Just guessing here.

Edited by GlennW