Fuel pump leaking into crank

Biggbore

OK , I think My fuel pump is leaking gas into oil pan . I let Avanti set up for 3 or 4 weeks checked oil before starting motor & about 3 quarts above full mark, So my question is fix my old fuel pump or go to electric to solve problem Please advise !!unsure.gif

You definitely have a bad fuel pump...the diaphragm is torn. The easiest thing to do is to rebuild or replace the fuel pump. Make sure you have a rebuild kit or a fuel pump with internals made to take modern gasoline with ethanol in it. The old diaphragms and seals are incompatible.

An electric fuel pump would require a fair amount of work...replacing the feed line with hose made to take higher pressures as well needing a regulator since carburetors can't take more than about 5-6 psi. You would also have to shield the electric pump so it won't create radio interference.

Electric fuel pumps are great in many circumstances, but for a non-fuel injected street car, they simply aren't necessary.

When you're done...change the oil since what you have is diluted with gasoline.

Thanks for quick reply. Yep I think a rebuild sounds better than electric pump. I found a rebuild kit on EBAY but It says nothing about new tech seals or modern fuel , do you know of some one local to Houston TX THANKS AGAIN !!cool.gif

Studebaker International carries rebuild kits...I imagine Jon Myers and Nostalgic do as well...possibly other Stude vendors.

I know some have used small block Mopar fuel pumps which are probably a more inexpensive way to go, but it requires heating and bending the lever arm to some degree. I don't know how difficult or easy that might be. Maybe someone else can attach directions on how or where the directions are to do that.