R/2 Hood clearance

jtjim

On my 64 Avanti, the supercharger output hose rubs the hood. Also the Carburetor bonnet hits the hood. Is it possible or advisable to use the lower motor mounts? It appears that this would bring the oil pan very close to the tie rod ends, and the fan would be closer to the radiator. Is there anyone with experience on this. There is a spacer (gasket?) under the carburetor about 1/4" thick. Removing this would help.

It's been some years since I owned a Stude powered Avanti, but I don't think it had any kind of spacer under the carburetor...just a gasket. You might try taking the spacer out and using a gasket for an AFB and see if that makes any difference. Someone in the past could have added the spacer to help cool the fuel charge going down the intake.

My understanding of the lower motor mounts is that they can cause clearance issues with the suspension or steering parts...they're really R3/R4 parts. Your problem could also be sagging coil springs, which isn't uncommon.

<P>I have only owned this car for a few months.  I decided to remove the oil pan and timing gear cover because or very bad oil leaks and stripped bolts in the gear cover.  Once I got everything removed  I realized that there was not much more required to pull the engine and do a proper detailing of engine and engine bay.(The previous owner painted the inner fenders, cowl, and under hood black!!  It must have been too much trouble to clean the white.)  Anyhow, I think I will remove the thick spacer before anything else.  I have a set of the short front engine mounts but It looks like the oil pan will hit the tie rod ends.  I don't need very much clearance.  </P>

Edited by jtjim

On my 64 Avanti, the supercharger output hose rubs the hood. Also the Carburetor bonnet hits the hood. Is it possible or advisable to use the lower motor mounts? It appears that this would bring the oil pan very close to the tie rod ends, and the fan would be closer to the radiator. Is there anyone with experience on this. There is a spacer (gasket?) under the carburetor about 1/4" thick. Removing this would help.

A single gasket under the carb. is all that is needed.If thats not enough. the shorter motor mounts will work just fine.

On my R2 , I used the R3 motor mounts, with a 1/8 inch metal washer under the mount. Do not remove the gasket. But try the mounts and washer

and then use Play-Doe with everything in place on car and lower hood slowly and latch, then open hood and measure how much Play-Doe is

left on top of air horn, that did not get squashed, thats how much clearence you have.

Roland