1963 R2 parts

Blake Hoover

As mentioned on a previous message, I was trying to decide if I should part it out or restore. Restore is the route I'm going. I am in need of a manual transmission and rear-end. These parts do not need to be original just work. I will worry about originality as the money comes available.

I have a few questions I hope someone knows.

I have the original engine, but what other engines also work?

Can I find an Avaniti transmission or do I need to find an alternative?

I need a rear-end. Again, can I find one or is there an alternative?

Thanks for all of your help.

Blake

Any Stude V8 would drop right in. As far as Brand X engine swaps, there have been many performed, but the Chevy small block is by far the easiest. The parts to do so are quite available and it's a relatively painless process...Avanti II's all came with small block Chevy's so there's plenty of experience at it. You can certainly install other make engines...it just takes enough money and engineering time.

Do you want another manual or an automatic transmission? The Borg Warner T-10 is certainly available...I've seen a couple on Ebay lately for Avanti's. You can buy an adapter from sources like Mike Myers so you can fit up a GM transmission to the Stude V8. That way, you can go with any of several GM automatics...TH350, TH400, 200R4 or 700R4. You can also install a Tremec 5- or 6-speed manual, though the 6-speed will likely require tunnel modifications.

As far as rear differentials, I'm not well versed on that, but the Dana 44 is used in many makes over the years, though there are some differences. The Dana 44 is a pretty strong rear, there's really little reason to change it unless you simply want to, the one you have is trashed, or you're going to build an engine putting out more horsepower than it's designed to take.

You really need to decide what you want as an end product. If you say "restore", that implies back to original configuration according to the build sheet. If that doesn't matter to you, then you do whatever you like and don't worry about originality...thet's generally referred to as a "resto-mod". If restoration is your goal, stick with original or original and correct replacement parts. You really need to determine that before starting your project.

If you decide to do an engine swap, if your R2 is complete, that can sell for some decent change and help offset the costs. Your car, your money...do as you please and make yourself happy.