63 R-1 restoration begins

63r1

Update on 63r-2091, restoration has begun. I purchased the car this past March,needing total restoration, so I decided to put it in front of a 70 Mustang waiting resto also. I couldn't wait! I received the build sheet from the archives and found that it was repainted white from the original Avanti gold sometime in it's past, and interior customised to blue velour (yuck) from beige. The only option appears to be quiet tone exhaust. I started working on it last week, it's completely apart, and will be a frame up restoration, ie body on frame. The body has been completely stripped, getting ready for paint in the body shop. It's a california car transplanted to Texas in the 70's. NO RUST ANYWHERE on the undercarriage....woo hoo! It's an automatic non air, non p/s, R-1. I'm putting it back to original condition, gold color, but thinking orange interior instead of beige. I run small restoration shop in Texas, restoring mainly mopar muscle cars, mustangs. I absolutely love this little car. Always been a mopar guy, currently own a '70 Challenger also, but this little Avanti is so cool--luv it. So happy with my purchase. They should all be saved, timeless automobilepost-8957-12528084681_thumb.jpg

I'm glad to here you are so excited about restoring the Avanti. My Avanti is R-2386 it is a R1 with AC, PS, PW and automatic. It was originally white with tangerine interior (orange). The orange or tangerine vinyl I don't believe is available as an exact match. My avanti is currently undergoing a frame off resto with modification by Michael Myer in Ohio. I have decided to upgrade my avanti as follows:

Converting engine to an R2 plus (0.060" overbore with hypertonic pistons, reworked R1 heads to R2 equivalent with SS valves, R3 exhaust headers, Edelbrock AFB and Mopar HEI ignition with Paxton SN-60 supercharger. We will remove factory York AC compressor and go with a R134a Sanden compressor. The automatic trans is being replaced with a Tremec TKO 5-speed. I am painting the car a none Stude color, Chrysler "Crimson Red" and then redo of dash, guages and interior. The frame will be sand blasted and powder coated and converted to 4 wheel disc brakes.

I would love to compare notes and here how your project is coming along. Good luck and I grew up with Mopar cars as well but like you, I am in love with the Avanti !!!

I too am in process of restoring a 1963 R1 white with orange interior. I went with leather seats & console ,new carpet is a pain to adjust a/c side covers as well. I also bought aluminum valve covers w/valley cover from vintage speed. Looking for aluminum water pump housing & intake to take some weight off front end. Any help to make the right choices in resto would greatly be appreciated THANKScool.gif

Update on 63r-2091, restoration has begun. I purchased the car this past March,needing total restoration, so I decided to put it in front of a 70 Mustang waiting resto also. I couldn't wait! I received the build sheet from the archives and found that it was repainted white from the original Avanti gold sometime in it's past, and interior customised to blue velour (yuck) from beige. The only option appears to be quiet tone exhaust. I started working on it last week, it's completely apart, and will be a frame up restoration, ie body on frame. The body has been completely stripped, getting ready for paint in the body shop. It's a california car transplanted to Texas in the 70's. NO RUST ANYWHERE on the undercarriage....woo hoo! It's an automatic non air, non p/s, R-1. I'm putting it back to original condition, gold color, but thinking orange interior instead of beige. I run small restoration shop in Texas, restoring mainly mopar muscle cars, mustangs. I absolutely love this little car. Always been a mopar guy, currently own a '70 Challenger also, but this little Avanti is so cool--luv it. So happy with my purchase. They should all be saved, timeless automobilepost-8957-12528084681_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck with your project, it looks like big strides are being made. My Avanti is also gold with two tone tan and cream which I

think goes well with the exterior color. If you look around the SDC web site you can find all the interior colors and options. You

might want to check that out before picking a color for the interior. Good to see another happy Avanti owner. Keep posting pictures.

Thanks for posting this. Very inspiring and I'm glad to hear there are others doing major restorations on their Avantis.

I got mine last November and took it completely apart. I have restored the chassis, brakes, power steering ram and pump, and suspension and replaced the exhaust system. Cylinder heads have been redone and the engine bored .030 over; I pick up the bottom end this weekend.

The car was originally gold with a fawn and elk interior. P/s, p/b, a/c, 3.31 tt rear end. The interior is a complete write-off and the body is in grey primer. I have no idea what color it should be.

Love to hear about your progress. It makes me want to go sand some rusty part.