Avanti 'Key'!

mfg

1 hour ago, mfg said:

The pointed tip of the rear axle key for a 1963 Studebaker Avanti should be installed pointing up, away from the axle shaft......True?

True - I had to reread the wording of your question - I think that I have the picture that you are "painting".  

Edited by studegary

2 hours ago, studegary said:

True - I had to reread the wording of your question - I think that I have the picture that you are "painting".  

True is CORRECT here!:).......This is something important to remember!

There is no "pointed tip"  There is a tapered end on one side only, and that should be INWARD TOWARDS THE AXLE.  The slot for the key in the axle also curves at it's end, and the curve of the key should correspond to the axle keyway . NEVER EVER EVER PUT THE KEY WITH THE CURVE FACING UP.  Also there is no reason to install the key on the axle until you have the drum in place. THEN tap the key into the keyway with the taper TOWARDS the axle, and only flush with the end of the hub. The reason is that you want the taper of the hub to seat on the taper if the axle shaft. If you install the key first, you risk it riding up the end curve of the key slot in the axle before the hub is fully seated. 

18 minutes ago, brad said:

There is no "pointed tip"  There is a tapered end on one side only, and that should be INWARD TOWARDS THE AXLE.  The slot for the key in the axle also curves at it's end, and the curve of the key should correspond to the axle keyway . NEVER EVER EVER PUT THE KEY WITH THE CURVE FACING UP.  Also there is no reason to install the key on the axle until you have the drum in place. THEN tap the key into the keyway with the taper TOWARDS the axle, and only flush with the end of the hub. The reason is that you want the taper of the hub to seat on the taper if the axle shaft. If you install the key first, you risk it riding up the end curve of the key slot in the axle before the hub is fully seated. 

That is why I said that "I had to reread the wording of your question".  I never considered an end to be pointed.  I figured that he was referring to where it tapers up.  I took it to mean the tapered part would be down.   

Edited by studegary
missing o

On 12/23/2019 at 9:06 PM, brad said:

Be very careful here!....A rear axle key installed upside down will cause fatigue in the axle shaft itself, which might lead to an eventual fracture!:o

ONCE AGAIN!...The pointed tip of the rear axle key HAS to be installed AWAY from the axle shaft (in other words, towards the hub)...This is VERY IMPORTANT!!!..................

To be CRYSTAL CLEAR on this....(and to make Brad happy).... The tapered end of the axle key, which curves down from the pointed tip, should be installed TOWARDS the axle shaft!

I strongly suggest that anyone confused about this consult a Studebaker or Studebaker Avanti shop manual....These books clearly illustrate what I'm describing here!

Edited by mfg

2 hours ago, studegary said:

That is why I said that "I had to reread the wording of your question".  I never considered an end to be pointed.  I figured that he was referring to where it tapers up.  I took it to mean the tapered part would be down.   

My gosh Gary,....I said your answer to this trivia question was correct, yet you STILL have to kibitz??..........Give me strength!!:blink:

13 hours ago, mfg said:

My gosh Gary,....I said your answer to this trivia question was correct, yet you STILL have to kibitz??..........Give me strength!!:blink:

Just like you to always have to have the last word.  Merry Christmas, Ed!

5 hours ago, studegary said:

Just like you to always have to have the last word.  Merry Christmas, Ed!

And a MERRY CHRISTMAS back at you Gary:)!!..........Uh-oh!.. I guess I have the LAST WORD again!!!!!:D :D :D

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, mtgibby said:

Just to be clear, this is the correct orientation?

B20A013D-0DC1-42BB-AACD-E87AA9AD005D.jpeg

No!...the tapered end of the axle key should be installed with the tapered end FACING the axle shaft.....In your photo, it looks like its upside-down.