R-2 supercharged restoration

Blake Hoover

I have supercharged 1963 R-2 that requires a complete restoration. It has been sitting in a garage for over 37 years. I am now trying to decide whether I should invest the $15,000 plus or just scrap it. The car does have all of the original parts except for the rear end.

What do I do? invest or scrap?

I can be contacted at blakehoover@msn.com

Any adivice would be greatly appreciated.

Blake Hoover

Edited by Blake Hoover

Depending on how bad the car might be, it will take considerably more than $15k to restore it...depending on the level of restoration you're talking about. First...what condition is the frame and hog troughs? If they're shot, you're probably better off parting the car out...at least in the financial sense. It will take more to correct those issues plus any further costs for rebuilding than any resale value the car has. Now, if you have some personal desire to save the car...out of love for Avanti's or it's been in the family since new, you could be willing to get the car back into shape.

If the hog troughs and the frame are good, there's really no reason why the car cannot be restored...again, depending on the level of restoration you desire.

Is the engine locked up or not? If the engine is in good shape and the supercharger is there, a genuine R2 engine can bring considerable money...again, depending on what level of work it requires to rebuild. The rear glass is made of "unobtainium"...it can bring considerable money as well. The same goes for some specific trim parts.

There's more...brakes, electrical, etc. All that adds into the equation of whether to restore or part out. That goes for any older car, not just Avanti's, but Avanti's do have specific problem areas to address.

My own point of view is I'd like to see every Avanti that can be saved, gets saved. I know that there is a need for donor cars to maintain and get other Avanti's on the road, but I still hate to lose any.

What do I do? invest or scrap?

I can be contacted at blakehoover@msn.com

Any adivice would be greatly appreciated.

Blake Hoover

I would restore it. Being in the garage well have saved a lot of parts. Paint and interior can be farmed out. Things like the engihe and trans. didn't wear out sitting there. but should be looked at.

Karl

Depending on how bad the car might be, it will take considerably more than $15k to restore it...depending on the level of restoration you're talking about. First...what condition is the frame and hog troughs? If they're shot, you're probably better off parting the car out...at least in the financial sense. It will take more to correct those issues plus any further costs for rebuilding than any resale value the car has. Now, if you have some personal desire to save the car...out of love for Avanti's or it's been in the family since new, you could be willing to get the car back into shape.

If the hog troughs and the frame are good, there's really no reason why the car cannot be restored...again, depending on the level of restoration you desire.

Is the engine locked up or not? If the engine is in good shape and the supercharger is there, a genuine R2 engine can bring considerable money...again, depending on what level of work it requires to rebuild. The rear glass is made of "unobtainium"...it can bring considerable money as well. The same goes for some specific trim parts.

There's more...brakes, electrical, etc. All that adds into the equation of whether to restore or part out. That goes for any older car, not just Avanti's, but Avanti's do have specific problem areas to address.

My own point of view is I'd like to see every Avanti that can be saved, gets saved. I know that there is a need for donor cars to maintain and get other Avanti's on the road, but I still hate to lose any.

The frame and hog troughs are in good shape. The supercharger does need somework. My Dad claims the engine is a 304.5 and not a 283. Is this possible since 304.5 where only found in R-3's?

With that being said, I will have to replace everything that goes with a car sitting indoors for 37yrs.

Thanks again!! This is the most information I have ever received and now I'm getting excited about maybe getting this old girl running

If that's a genuine R3 engine someone installed in the car, the engine alone has very considerable value. You need the numbers off the engine to verify that. The engine's serial number should start with a "B". An R3 uses different cylinder heads but I don't have the casting number to check. The valve covers should have four breathers instead of the standard two.

As far as additional value to the car, if it is in fact an R3 engine, may depend on whether it was Paxton installed or installed by someone else. A genuine Paxton installation included some other very specific upgrades...ignition, pullies, air cleaner, cast iron exhaust headers and a few other detail items. I wouldn't hold my breath about it being an R3 until it can be verified. Someone could have taken the R2 and overbored it as some point as well, but that doesn't make it an R3.

If the car has sat for 37 years, you will need to do some serious work to make the car safe to drive before even thinking about the cosmetics. The supercharger is rebuildable...there are several vendors in the AOAI and Studebaker Drivers Club that provide that service. The same goes for the carburetor and may other systems.

It is a work of love to do that...it won't be an overnight thing or inexpensive, but the end result is worth it. You can budget for the big things...it's the little detail items that can kill you. There's lots of little parts that you don't always realize you need to attend to until the need arises...then you have to locate them or adapt from some other car. There's nearly always a way. Never be afraid to ask questions here...the great folks here have lots of experience at it...and experience is defined as what you get when you don't get what you want!

I am doing a complete frame off restoration of an R1 with AC. My frame, body and hog troughs were all in great shape and the car was a daily driver until a few years ago. The restoration is being done by one of the top Studebaker / Avanti vendors and will probably cost twice the number you mentioned in your post. Please do not scrape it or part it out, if you are not going to restore then consider putting the car up for sale so that someone else can purchase it and save it.