Cored Avanti!

mfg

A quick way to determine if you're looking at a 400CI Chevy engine, as used in many '70's era Avanti ll's, and not a 350CI, is to count the core plugs on the block sides.....A 400CI engine will have ......?..... core plugs in total.

1) Four.........2) Six......3) Eight.....or.....4) Ten

If ten is correct so is 8. The 400 blocks had provisions for 3 plugs per side but a lot of them didn't have the middle plug drilled so there was no core plug. I believe 10 is correct if the question was phrased as number of core plug locations indicated in the casting.

I'm going to say that for the 400s in the era you specify, #2 is correct -- 3 core plugs per side for a total of six. The disclaimer is that I am not a Chevy engine expert, but did help friends with their Chevys 'back in the day'. 

2 hours ago, Avanti83 said:

If ten is correct so is 8. The 400 blocks had provisions for 3 plugs per side but a lot of them didn't have the middle plug drilled so there was no core plug. I believe 10 is correct if the question was phrased as number of core plug locations indicated in the casting.

Sorry, your answer is incorrect!:(

14 minutes ago, r1lark said:

I'm going to say that for the 400s in the era you specify, #2 is correct -- 3 core plugs per side for a total of six. The disclaimer is that I am not a Chevy engine expert, but did help friends with their Chevys 'back in the day'. 

And answer #2 is CORRECT!...... (We won't tell anyone that you used to work on Chebys!:o :D)

14 hours ago, mfg said:

And answer #2 is CORRECT!...... (We won't tell anyone that you used to work on Chebys!:o :D)

#2 is correct but so is #3. Initially my mind pictured 2 core plugs on the front but not so. There are 2 in the back and either 2 or 3 on each side so either 6 or 8 is correct. That's why most core plug kits come with 8.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-mpe-100br/applications

1 minute ago, Avanti83 said:

#2 is correct but so is #3. Initially my mind pictured 2 core plugs on the front but not so. There are 2 in the back and either 2 or 3 on each side so either 6 or 8 is correct. That's why most core plug kits come with 8.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-mpe-100br/applications

The initial question only concerned itself with the block sides, not the rear of block, as sometimes rear of engine cannot be easily seen.:)

A 400CI engine will have ......?..... core plugs in total.

The question is not how many can I see but how many in total. Still 6 or 8.

If it's how many can you see It will vary between 3 and 6 because the one is obscured by the starter and the other mechanicals so you might get a glimpse of the drivers rear but generally not so much. The correct answer to the question you didn't ask is either 4 or 6 core plugs. #1 or #2 in the first post.

1 hour ago, Avanti83 said:

A 400CI engine will have ......?..... core plugs in total.

The question is not how many can I see but how many in total. Still 6 or 8.

If it's how many can you see It will vary between 3 and 6 because the one is obscured by the starter and the other mechanicals so you might get a glimpse of the drivers rear but generally not so much. The correct answer to the question you didn't ask is either 4 or 6 core plugs. #1 or #2 in the first post.

No, I don't believe that you're correctly absorbing this question!:o....You're placing the second sentence ahead of the first sentence!.....The first sentence indicates that we are only concerned with the core plugs on the SIDES of the block....The second sentence asks how many core plugs can be found on those sides!

(First semester English really:D)

5 hours ago, Avanti83 said:

I guess English is still my first language and I can still read it with a bit of comprehension so no where in the question does it specify sides only.

IAC, Merry Christmas

And a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS to you my friend!:D...............HOWEVER :o......I still believe English Comprehension may not be one of your stronger points, BECAUSE,..... When I read "IS TO COUNT THE CORE PLUGS ON THE BLOCK SIDES"...........I'm sure not going to count the core plugs at the rear (or the front) of said engine block!!!