Replacing the transmission

avantidavid

I have an earlier 1988 Avanti Convert which is on the Monte Carlo chassis. 2 nd gear just went out in the tranny. is there a better transmission out there I should think about putting under the car or should i just rebuild the one that is in it which I think is a 200-4R..??

Edited by avantidavid

I have an earlier 1988 Avanti Convert which is on the Monte Carlo chassis. 2 nd gear just went out in the tranny. is there a better transmission out there I should think about putting under the car or should i just rebuild the one that is in it which I think is a 200-4R..??

David

I have a 88LSC, I converted to a 700R4,But You well have to shoeten the drive shaft 2'' and modify the rear mount, Not a big deal . The 2004R is a good trans with a few up grades though.Didn't have that option when I did mine.It may be cheaper to rebuild and upgrade the 200 .Than get a 700 modify and in stall it. Speaking from hind site now.

Karl

Rebuild the 200 and ask your rebuilder to do some upgrades a good rebuilder will know what to do. Gear spacing is better in the 200 as is the O/D ratio.

I just replaced the 700 I put in in my 64 a few years ago with a 200.

ErnieR