average running temperature

MARK

I finished a frame on restoration of R5470, a 1964 R2. I do drive the car from NJ into NYC a few days a month. The one way ride is just under 60 miles. I average 180 to 185 degrees when driving between 65 and 70 mph. When sitting in traffic in front of the Lincoln Tunnel the temperature will climb to 205. Question, What temperatures do you R2's owners experience?

As always, I appreciate this incredible forum, lots of information lots of interesting questions and answers.

Good work guys; women too.

The engine temps you're experiencing is quite acceptable. If it tops out at 205 in sitting traffic that's excellent. Many, many Avanti owners have experienced higher temps under those conditions. I don't see where you have anything to be concerned about. Just keep the engine in a good state of tune and the cooling system clean and flushed every year or two, belts tight, hoses good and radiator cap in good shape and you're golden.

The only thing I would add is occasionally open the heat controls and let coolant flow through the heater core and control valve...that will keep them lubricated internally and also keep deposits from forming and causing corrosion in them. Even if your engine runs within normal temperatures, it's still no fun if your heater core starts leaking on the carpeting.

The engine temps you're experiencing is quite acceptable. If it tops out at 205 in sitting traffic that's excellent. Many, many Avanti owners have experienced higher temps under those conditions. I don't see where you have anything to be concerned about. Just keep the engine in a good state of tune and the cooling system clean and flushed every year or two, belts tight, hoses good and radiator cap in good shape and you're golden.

The only thing I would add is occasionally open the heat controls and let coolant flow through the heater core and control valve...that will keep them lubricated internally and also keep deposits from forming and causing corrosion in them. Even if your engine runs within normal temperatures, it's still no fun if your heater core starts leaking on the carpeting.

Mark ,

These are words of wisdom,

Karl

I so appreciate the assistance from this site and the many members. Glad to know my 64 is "normal" though the temps from my 73 Avanti II with the A/C on was at least 40 degrees cooler. I think the temperature just makes me nervous. Thanks as always.

Mark

I so appreciate the assistance from this site and the many members. Glad to know my 64 is "normal" though the temps from my 73 Avanti II with the A/C on was at least 40 degrees cooler. I think the temperature just makes me nervous. Thanks as always.

Mark

Actually you probably should look into raising the temps of your 73 to be more like the 64.

The small block GM engine will run much better and last longer at the higher temps.

Charlie RQB3921

Actually you probably should look into raising the temps of your 73 to be more like the 64.

The small block GM engine will run much better and last longer at the higher temps.

Charlie RQB3921

Also look into useing a lazer light temp reading device. they work great, and can let you know if your temp gauge is accurate

or other things. Just aim and shoot at anything to get a reading.

Roland