Removing 4 speed transmission

rmp243

I just purchased a 1963 Avanti R2 and I am new to this car. I worked on last prior to this one but it seems that there is very limited technical information out there. Unless I am looking in the wrong place and if this is the case if someone could direct me in the right direction I appreciate it.

I have been running this car for the past month and noticed I am getting a squeaking noise around the flywheel area. It gets louder as I engage the clutch. Could anyone tell me what could be making noise? I never heard anything like it before. Also the car pops out of second gear. I am looking to pull the transmission out. How difficult of a job is it?

A: I don't have a lift I will be placing the car on jacks stands.

B: How heavy is the transmission. I am figuring I will have to support the engine with a a jack stand once the the transmission is out.

The only other option is I will have to take this car to a mechanic but I would rather do the job myself.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Rob

Rob,

You may also want to post your questions on the Technical page of the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/default.asp

There's a LOT of help available there.

Shop manuals are available from several vendors. You can locate them through the SDC site. I would recommend purchasing a manual before you proceed. There's lots of valuable information there. As to the squeak, it sounds like a bad throwout bearing. Not a big deal if you are pulling the transmission anyway. It is possible that your problem with popping out of second is a linkage adjustment, but more likely it is an internal problem.

Safety first with the jack stands! For transmission work, I prefer to put the front wheels on steel ramps, then jack the rear axle, and support it with GOOD HD jack stands. I've found this to be more stable, and there isn't really a good spot under the front of the Avanti to use jack stands.

The transmission is not too heavy, but it is awkward, especially with the frame X-member. Having a hydraulic floor jack to help support it on the way out is helpful. The rear engine mounts are on the bell housing, so there is no need to support the engine if you are removing the transmission only.

I just purchased a 1963 Avanti R2 and I am new to this car. I worked on last prior to this one but it seems that there is very limited technical information out there. Unless I am looking in the wrong place and if this is the case if someone could direct me in the right direction I appreciate it.

I have been running this car for the past month and noticed I am getting a squeaking noise around the flywheel area. It gets louder as I engage the clutch. Could anyone tell me what could be making noise? I never heard anything like it before. Also the car pops out of second gear. I am looking to pull the transmission out. How difficult of a job is it?

A: I don't have a lift I will be placing the car on jacks stands.

B: How heavy is the transmission. I am figuring I will have to support the engine with a a jack stand once the the transmission is out.

The only other option is I will have to take this car to a mechanic but I would rather do the job myself.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Rob

Rob,

Having a shop manual as Jim suggested is worth every penny. Sounds like a the throw out bearings gone bad.??Trans weighs about 110lbs. ,

Basic steps,

drain trans,will save on mess when removing.ro wrap with a sandwich bag. good time to change it anyway.

remove drive shaft. two U-bolt 1/2 nuts

remove shifter. cover inside car needs ot come off. four screws hold it in place,three nuts on the shifter arms. Note there positions.If you have a digital camera take pictures and print will save on headache later. and three bolts on the bracket all 1/2". ,plus loosen 7/16 tab that holds speed-o cable, rotate and pull out unit..un plug back up light switch

remove four 3/4" bolts thay hold trans to bell housing. once loose slide trans back into frame . lower front and slide forward, lower to floor.

Thats it in a nut shell. hope this helps.

Karl