Parking lights stay on with headlamps

Stuart Suede

Hi there.  I have a 1963 R1 (Serial R4581) and noticed that when I have the headlights on, the parking lights also remain on.  Federal law required all car manufacturers to do this in 1969 and beyond, and I also have 2 other Mopar vehicles older than 1969 where the parking lights go off when the headlights are on. 

I'm wondering if my car's wiring was modified over the years or that's how they all were wired.  Thanks.

15 hours ago, Stuart Suede said:

Hi there.  I have a 1963 R1 (Serial R4581) and noticed that when I have the headlights on, the parking lights also remain on.  Federal law required all car manufacturers to do this in 1969 and beyond, and I also have 2 other Mopar vehicles older than 1969 where the parking lights go off when the headlights are on. 

I'm wondering if my car's wiring was modified over the years or that's how they all were wired.  Thanks.

Yes it was!...and the wiring on my own '63 Avanti (63R1379) was modified in the same fashion long before I acquired the car!....Basically, on my car I believe a jumper wire was installed at the headlamp switch........ I've always considered this to be an important, (SAFETY RELATED) modification!

I advise to NOT CHANGE this modification back to original...Enjoy as is!...Ed:)

Except for it will draw more current through the switch, which is already at it's limit. I would consider changing to LED bulbs to keep things from melting your switch or wires. 

18 hours ago, brad said:

Except for it will draw more current through the switch, which is already at it's limit. I would consider changing to LED bulbs to keep things from melting your switch or wires. 

Always good to be cautious, however, over the years I've owned seven Avantis and have never had a problem with headlamp switches.....My '63 Avanti had the jumper wire installed (to allow the parking lights to come on with the headlamps) over thirty years ago, and I've never encountered a switch problem.

My 1983 Avanti "Daily Driver's" parking lights come on with the headlamps (from the factory), and the car also has front side marker lamps (also factory).....All these lamps are activated by the same type of headlamp switch as Studebaker used in '63, and now at approx. 400,000 miles I've never had a headlamp switch fail!.....Ed:)

On my '63 I also added a jump wire on the switch so the parking lights would remain on when headlights are on.  But, I ran the wires for this jumper to a small secondary switch under the dash so I could switch back and forth if desired.