700R speedometer cable

RobertSuren

Recently changed my Borg Warner 3 speed for a GM 700 R transmission in my 1971 Avanti.I'm having difficulty locating a speedometer cable compatable with the 700R and my factory Stewart Warner speedometer.Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.....also if anyone has use for the factory 3 speed shifter or any BW trans parts please feel free to contact me......Thanks Bob Suren

Did the 700R4 come with a cable adapter or the electronic sender. If it has the adapter it would be a standard cable for late 80's GM cars of the correct length. If it's the sender unit then it needs to be replaced with the drive for the std cable. They are not easy to find but places like Bowtie transmission or Monster trans might have them. Be sure you get the correct gear also.

If you just need the cable take the old one with you to be sure the cable end to the speedo head in the dash matches it, many do but just check to be sure. If all else fails contact Stewart Warner (or whomever owns them) and ask them for a suggestion.

Edited by Avanti83

Thanks for responding to my question Avanti83.The trans I used had an electronic hookup so we got the adapter.My old speedo cable is the correct length and fits my speedo but does not fit the adaptor.We have been un- able to come up with a cable that fits both ends so far.I was hoping someone else had done this swap and solved the same problem.Thanks again

Bob

So you're saying there's a difference in cable ends?  That's odd since most all speedo cables have had the same ~ 3/16" square  end since the 50's.   I have seen this outfit's stuff and it's good quality.  Maybe they can give you a hand on this...  

https://speedometercablesusa.com/gear_box_adapters.html