Fuel Delivery

avantir3

Hi, great forum., lots of info. I need more. I have an R2 not running good, bad idle, no idle, high speed ok, replaced carb, intake, fuel pump, It has a chyrsler ign system. The person I got the car from had removed the fuel return line. Does anyone run with only the one line? how does it run? or is this my problem? Car is tuned up , timed, carb set, I am useing a Eldenbrock carb (stock jets) inside the R3 air box. Any ideas on this? Thanks Roland

I would look for a vacuum leak. Intake manifold gaskets will cause the symptoms you described, as will mis-adjusted valves, bad cam lobe and any nummber of things. But...intake gasket problems are sneaky and will disappear right off idle and only manifest themselves at cruising speeds as a slight surge. I had new metal gaskets that didn't seal. Changed to fiber style and problem was solved.

The return line will not cause any of the problems you are experiencing. I ran my car for years without the line hooked up.

Ernie R2 R5388

Hi, great forum., lots of info. I need more. I have an R2 not running good, bad idle, no idle, high speed ok, replaced carb, intake, fuel pump, It has a chyrsler ign system. The person I got the car from had removed the fuel return line. Does anyone run with only the one line? how does it run? or is this my problem? Car is tuned up , timed, carb set, I am useing a Eldenbrock carb (stock jets) inside the R3 air box. Any ideas on this? Thanks Roland

I would look for a vacuum leak. Intake manifold gaskets will cause the symptoms you described, as will mis-adjusted valves, bad cam lobe and any nummber of things. But...intake gasket problems are sneaky and will disappear right off idle and only manifest themselves at cruising speeds as a slight surge. I had new metal gaskets that didn't seal. Changed to fiber style and problem was solved.

The return line will not cause any of the problems you are experiencing. I ran my car for years without the line hooked up.

Ernie R2 R5388

Ernie, I used the fiber style gaskets on the intake. No leaks, I have been keeping away from the valves.,, but, I think that is the next thing to check, I was told the heads were never off the car, but,,,,,in the rear of both heads is a white Paint?paste?, I can scrap it off with my finger nail, could be some testing substance?

Roland

Edited by avantir3

Try ignoring the factory recommended timing setting and advance the timing about 5 degrees. Adjust curb idle and see if that helps. If it does you want to check the advance weights to see if they stick, the breaker plate itself for freedom of movement and if they check out make sure you set the static timing at a very low curb idle rpm. You want to make sure that no centrifugal advance is occuring when you set the static. Sometimes if the static is set at too high a curb idle rpm some centrifugal may be starting to come on. in that case the static is set too far retarded to compensate for the centrifugal advance but when the car is put in gear ( with automatic ) the rpm drops along with the centrifugal advance and the overly retarded timing at that point causes the car to stall.

Throttle linkage that doesn't always return all the way can lead to improper setiings and erratic idle and stalling, also.

There are gaskets at the back of the heads sealing water jacket holes. You may be seeing a little seapage there.

Ernie R2 R5388

Edited by ernier