Studebaker Script Placement

LarryPriest

Larry,

My Avanti is in Ohio undergoing restoration so I don't have any dimensions, but here is a photo of mine. It would appear that it goes on right side, inside back up light and centered with middle of back up light. Can someone with access to their car give Larry some measurements?

63rear.jpg

Larry,

My Avanti is in Ohio undergoing restoration so I don't have any dimensions, but here is a photo of mine. It would appear that it goes on right side, inside back up light and centered with middle of back up light. Can someone with access to their car give Larry some measurements?

63rear.jpg

Thanks for your input, John. Someone will give the measurements I'm sure. By the way, I need to mention that my car does not have backup lights. Were some Avantis produced that way or could it be that the trunk lid was replaced and the lights were never put in? Maybe I have another project coming. Any measurements on backup light placement? Thanks to all for help. Larry

I went thru my parts and repair manuals and there is no specific reference to a split in serial nos. regarding back-up lights. My guess is that all Studebaker Avanti came with them. Perhaps your trunk lid was replaced at some point with a re-manufactored one or someone fiberglassed in where the back-up lights went.

Some people have added aftermarket back-up lights to either side of the license plate so they could turn the back-up lights into additional brake lights to enhance visibility and to help avoid being rear ended. If your not ready to install the back-up lights yet, you could always put a pair of aftermarket back-up lights on each side fo the license plate. See Bob Johnstone's webpage, I think he has done something similar to this. \

My guess is someone filled in the area of the old lights. I havn't looked at my manuals, but I can't imaging anyone making a trunk lid where BU light holes would have to be fabricated..that would take way too much time.

On later Avantis...plastic bumper models from the mid-80s...the back up lights were below the bumper near the license plate in a redesigned pan. Others...like the 4-door...seem to have them in a thickened bumper.

The old B.U. light areas were used for extra tail lights as okc63avanti suggested.

Edited by J Boyle