Hidden or Trunk mounted sound system

okc63avanti

My 1963 Avanti is being restored and I would like a good quality sound system. My 63 came with factory AM radio and front/rear speaker option. I am thinking of keeping the AM original and on a seperate circuit using the original speaker locations.

Has anyone installed a hidden head unit with receiver using a remote control placing CD changer, amp in the trunk. I would think there is room on rear shelf for modern flush mount left & right speakers and then place the front left and right speakers under dash or on interior kick panels.

I guess I could always go to a custom audio shop and have them do this, but was hoping some of you on Forum might have experience and suggestions.

Thanks,

John,

When I was going through my 63 Avanti, I cut out a thin wood board in the shape of the original front and rear speakers, then was able to mount 2 small Alipine speakers in each board, thus giving me a four speaker system.

I connected them to a then-modern Yamaha in-dash AM-FM cassette stereo which worked okay. They are not the best speakers but certainly a big improvement over the old factory single front and single rear speakers.

You could do this but still hook up your original AM radio in the dash to play out of each pair of speakers. But also hook up a separate head unit under the dash (or even in the glove compartment) and when you throw a switch, go between the AM radio and whatever head unit you install. You'd still have the four-speaker system for the modern head unit, but no one except you would know the difference.

Lew

My 1963 Avanti is being restored and I would like a good quality sound system. My 63 came with factory AM radio and front/rear speaker option. I am thinking of keeping the AM original and on a seperate circuit using the original speaker locations.

Has anyone installed a hidden head unit with receiver using a remote control placing CD changer, amp in the trunk. I would think there is room on rear shelf for modern flush mount left & right speakers and then place the front left and right speakers under dash or on interior kick panels.

I guess I could always go to a custom audio shop and have them do this, but was hoping some of you on Forum might have experience and suggestions.

Thanks,

Thanks Lew for the suggestion. It seems like I remember an article in Avanti mag with this one time, if so jog my memory with edition it was in. I appreciate the wonderful job you do as editor. My Avanti is undergoing restoration / modification by Michael Myer. I am not going to keep it 100% original so I may try and install a top quality sound system but would prefer not to clutter the glove box or under dash with a head unit, so I was thinking about some type of remote control RF or wired (like a marine system).