chassis information

Walter Trindler

I bought an 1990 AVANTI 4door sedan (Identification Number 12AAV44A1L1001070) in the US and imported it to Switzerland. There are some problems with the swiss regulation authorities to be solved to get the license. Most of the problems could be solved.

One mayor problem still exists: in the existing title the weight is indicated with WT-L-BHP = 3780.

The swiss autorities say that this is too low to accept.

So my question is:

As I know the chassis is from a chevrolet caprice. Is it from a Coupe, limousine or station car?

Can anybody deliver detailed information on the used chassis so that I can go back to the manufacturer and get a confirmation on the maximum load which can be used?

Thanks for any assistance.

My 1989 Avanti (#488) is built on a Chevrolet Caprice chassis. The stock chassis has a 116 inch wheelbase. There was 7 inches of frame cut off to make the chassis fit the 109 inch Avanti coupe wheelbase. When Avanti went to the 4 door, they left the chassis at 116 inches.

Also, remove the top of the air cleaner. Turn it over and see if the Chevrolet VIN is etched on the bottom of the air cleaner. My Avanti was built on this Chevrolet frame:

1G1 BN51 E8KR 126678

The Chevy Caprice 4-door weighs 3,825 pounds (1735 kg) per this website:

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=85360

or

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/chevrolet-caprice4.htm

Due to all the heavy carpeting, insulation, and thick fiberglass construction, I doubt if the Avanti weights that much less than the Caprice.

Hope this helps!

Ernie N.

Edited by Ernie

My 1989 Avanti (#488) is built on a Chevrolet Caprice chassis. The stock chassis has a 116 inch wheelbase. There was 7 inches of frame cut off to make the chassis fit the 109 inch Avanti coupe wheelbase. When Avanti went to the 4 door, they left the chassis at 116 inches.

Also, remove the top of the air cleaner. Turn it over and see if the Chevrolet VIN is etched on the bottom of the air cleaner. My Avanti was built on this Chevrolet frame:

1G1 BN51 E8KR 126678

The Chevy Caprice 4-door weighs 3,825 pounds (1735 kg) per this website:

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=85360

or

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/chevrolet-caprice4.htm

Due to all the heavy carpeting, insulation, and thick fiberglass construction, I doubt if the Avanti weights that much less than the Caprice.

Hope this helps!

Ernie N.

I bought an 1990 AVANTI 4door sedan (Identification Number 12AAV44A1L1001070) in the US and imported it to Switzerland. There are some problems with the swiss regulation authorities to be solved to get the license. Most of the problems could be solved.

One mayor problem still exists: in the existing title the weight is indicated with WT-L-BHP = 3780.

The swiss autorities say that this is too low to accept.

So my question is:

As I know the chassis is from a chevrolet caprice. Is it from a Coupe, limousine or station car?

Can anybody deliver detailed information on the used chassis so that I can go back to the manufacturer and get a confirmation on the maximum load which can be used?

Thanks for any assistance.

the caprice is a foor door sedan,(I belive that the 3780 is the car weight)

gary.

the caprice is a foor door sedan,(I belive that the 3780 is the car weight)

gary.

I recently weighed my 90 4-door with a full tank of gas and me (240lbs). It was 4,060 lbs. I've emailed Walter and provided the information I know. Hopefully, he will have sufficient documentation to register his car.

Cheers,

Rich

I recently weighed my 90 4-door with a full tank of gas and me (240lbs). It was 4,060 lbs. I've emailed Walter and provided the information I know. Hopefully, he will have sufficient documentation to register his car.

Cheers,

Rich

Hi there

In the meantime I had also contact with GREG LOWRY, the designer of the car. He confirms the above meationed information and tries to get some official papers on that topic.

I will inform here when the job is finished.

Thanks,

Walter

Edited by Walter Trindler