Meaning of numbers cast in engine blocks

Mark63Avanti

I have a 1963 Avanti with a non-original Studebaker V-8 engine. There is no serial number stamped on the boss and I was told the engine was purchased as a short block. Embossed on the engine are the number 1554641 with the number 4 above it. Is this the Studebaker number for the V-8 block? What significance is the "4"?

The 1554641 is the Studebaker part number for (probably) the short block assembly. (Can't at the moment find the parts manual that covers it) I don't know the relevance of the "4" (if any).

By the way , is your engine a 'full-flow'? (Does it have a spin on oil filter and/or a block off plate on the right rear side of the engine block?:huh:

Edited by mfg

2 hours ago, Regnalbob said:

The 1554641 with the 4 above it is the casting number for the block and not the part number.

You're right and also wrong Bob!....Here's why!.....Although the number 1554641 is indeed cast with the block, it sometimes is also used as the Studebaker part number!

EXAMPLE....The Studebaker Avanti R1 cylinder head had 1557571 cast into it above the center exhaust port....That number also serves as the Studebaker factory part number!:o

22 hours ago, mfg said:

You're right and also wrong Bob!....Here's why!.....Although the number 1554641 is indeed cast with the block, it sometimes is also used as the Studebaker part number!

EXAMPLE....The Studebaker Avanti R1 cylinder head had 1557571 cast into it above the center exhaust port....That number also serves as the Studebaker factory part number!:o 

1554641 is a casting number and not a part number. There is no block with that part number.

Your example is incorrect.

R1 cylinder heads have a casting number of 1557570 and the part number is 1557571.

8 hours ago, Regnalbob said:

1554641 is a casting number and not a part number. There is no block with that part number.

Your example is incorrect.

R1 cylinder heads have a casting number of 1557570 and the part number is 1557571.

I believe we must 'agree to disagree' on this one Bob!:o..........By the way, don't forget to post a few AVANTI TRIVIA questions when you have a chance....Thanks! Ed:)

4 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

The heads have a casting number of 1557570 and a part number of 1557571. Please check your parts catalog.

Got it!.....The spare R1 head I looked at is unfortunately very corroded from age. (kind of like me!:D)....What I now have no doubt is a '0' looked very much like a '1'!!:o

Thanks for your input on this question!......Ed:)

Thanks for the input. This one does have the spin on oil filter. But again in 64studeavanti's picture, this one hast the casting number with the number 3 below it in addition to two slotted screw heads. Is there significance to these?

5 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

My best guess is that the 3 is an indicator of which mold was used for the casting.

It could also be which shift did the casting.  Studebaker kept track of some things by shift (I suppose in case there was a problem that could be identified with one shift).

For what it's worth, I'm looking at my dog eared copy of the parts catalog and it lists "part number" for a R1 & R2 short block as 1557834, R3 1563288, R4 1563289. Maybe these are sub assembly part numbers in the Studebaker system.

Recently, I reviewed an interesting and very comprehensive graph concerning the casting numbers found on Studebaker cylinder heads

This graph was compiled by Bob Johnstone, and can be found on his excellent Studebaker/Avanti resource website.

Bob begins by stating most Stude cylinder head casting numbers are not factory part numbers........"HOWEVER, THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS"!

For what it's worth, I've always thought this to be  the case!.........HAPPY THANKSGIVING!.......Ed:)