Electric window convertion

garyc

Anyone have any comments or experience on converting crank windows to electric on a '63-'64 Avanti?

You're going to need a ton of parts of which many may be completely unavailable unless you have a donor car...regulators, motors, relay, wiring harness, switches, circuit breaker, drives, idlers, springs, stops as well as many small parts. You might even need to get new door panels as the switches may not be located in the same place as crank handles so you don't have holes showing in the door upholstery. Motors are available as new reproductions ($200 each), switches you might be able to adapt from other cars, but the hardware will be difficult to locate in good condition. Almost nothing beyond the windows themselves and the tracks will interchange with the electric parts.

In my '70 I had to replace a regulator for one of the power windows as somewhere back in time the door had been damaged in an accident and the regulator was damaged and never fixed properly. A good used regulator and its attached parts did not come cheap.

Not that it can't be done, I think this is a case where the orange isn't worth the squeeze. You'll be halfway through the installation wondering why you ever started.

• 3 months later...
Anyone have any comments or experience on converting crank windows to electric on a '63-'64 Avanti?

I just bought a set up from NuRelics, Inc., easy install, uses original track and fits into same holes as original regulator.....Deryl