63 Avanti R-2 Color of inside wheel wells

63 Avanti R2

Is the color of the inside of the wheel wells the same as the exterior or is it Black?

I'm restoring my 63.

Thanks

I've only seen black.

BUT....

If I wanted to do a custom look and had a white w/orage interior, I'd consider painting them flat orange.

I've seen something like that on a late 20s Packard and it looked neat. Early GTOs had an optional red fiberglass fender liner, and IIRC, some 50 Buicks had them as well.

Edited by J Boyle

Most unrestored Avanti's I've seen had the interior of the wheel wells black...as in undercoated. I believe that was done by dealers. Even Avanti Motors later had undercoating optional, but they said it was for sound deadening purposes only.

Thanks to both of you for the info. My 63 Avanti is the "Avanti red and the inner wheel wells are black.

There is a few stress fractures and and cracks in the paint so I'm doing a body off restoration. I plan on repainting it with the 63 Avanti red. I understand there is a difference between the 1963 and 1964 Red.

Steve

Thanks to both of you for the info. My 63 Avanti is the "Avanti red and the inner wheel wells are black.

There is a few stress fractures and and cracks in the paint so I'm doing a body off restoration. I plan on repainting it with the 63 Avanti red. I understand there is a difference between the 1963 and 1964 Red.

Steve

Yes, late in the 64 model run they introduced Avanti Maroon. But 63 red and 64 red were the same.

For an explnation, look here at: wwwtheavanti.com

http://www.theavanti.com/paint_colors.htm

BTW: Also, my well wells are black but not from undercoating. My car is apart right now for paint, I'lll ask my friend who's doing it if they're paint or undercoat...but I'm pretty sure it's not undercoat.