Advice on replacement wheels/tires for Avanti

irishman

I need advice about replacement wheels and tires for Avantis. My 64 R2 is almost ready for the road. The restoration is only 7 years behind schedule and 300% over budget - much improved from my last project.

Most of what I see on the web suggests wheels no larger than 15 X 6 as a general rule and lots say stick with 15 X 5. This car has a Turner brake conversion. What about backspacing & offset? Lots of stuff out there about overstressing the front end with the wrong spec wheels. Lots of stuff about different size tires front & rear. Why is that? For best combination of good handling & traction and smooth ride, what tire size(s)work best with no clearance issues? Anybody have thoughts on wire wheels?

I'm more of a touring driver than hot rodder but I do have my moments and I do enjoy the winding backcountry roads in the TX hill country.

I'm sure this has been rehashed a bazillion times but I would appreciate some straight talk from guys with experience.

Thanks in advance,

Irishman

I bought a set of Crown Vic wheels 15x6 out of the local junkyard. The car rode and handled noticeably better. With Ford wheels you need to buy different lugnuts with Chrysler wheels you can use Stude nuts.

I have Turner brakes on my car with no clearance issues and if I had painted the rims white I doubt anyone would know they weren't factory.

My hupcaps have stopped rotating also.

I have P215/75R15 tires on my car although 205/75 or 215/70 would also be good choices. On my car I have found that running 26-28 pounds in the tires improves ride and handling as opposed to higher inflations as used on modern iron. The car is less 'darty' and more secure feeling around corners with the lower inflation pressure, your results may vary:)

ErnieR

I need advice about replacement wheels and tires for Avantis. My 64 R2 is almost ready for the road. The restoration is only 7 years behind schedule and 300% over budget - much improved from my last project.

Most of what I see on the web suggests wheels no larger than 15 X 6 as a general rule and lots say stick with 15 X 5. This car has a Turner brake conversion. What about backspacing & offset? Lots of stuff out there about overstressing the front end with the wrong spec wheels. Lots of stuff about different size tires front & rear. Why is that? For best combination of good handling & traction and smooth ride, what tire size(s)work best with no clearance issues? Anybody have thoughts on wire wheels?

I'm more of a touring driver than hot rodder but I do have my moments and I do enjoy the winding backcountry roads in the TX hill country.

I'm sure this has been rehashed a bazillion times but I would appreciate some straight talk from guys with experience.

Thanks in advance,

Irishman

Ernier.

Thanks very much for your input. A couple of other folks contacted me with good info, too, and with everyone's input combined I have everything I need.

Thanks, again.

I bought a set of Crown Vic wheels 15x6 out of the local junkyard. The car rode and handled noticeably better. With Ford wheels you need to buy different lugnuts with Chrysler wheels you can use Stude nuts.

I have Turner brakes on my car with no clearance issues and if I had painted the rims white I doubt anyone would know they weren't factory.

My hupcaps have stopped rotating also.

I have P215/75R15 tires on my car although 205/75 or 215/70 would also be good choices. On my car I have found that running 26-28 pounds in the tires improves ride and handling as opposed to higher inflations as used on modern iron. The car is less 'darty' and more secure feeling around corners with the lower inflation pressure, your results may vary:)

ErnieR

Edited by irishman