Reworked VS-57!

mfg

When reworking  the original McCulloch VS-57 supercharger, and eventually producing the Paxton SN-60 unit, Andy Granatelli felt the MAJOR internal problem causing failure in the VS-57 was............?

1 hour ago, brad said:

Uneven ball size. (of the drive unit for all you gutter thinking people)

Although it's true the 'German Drive Element Set', with closer tolerances than the American set, was introduced about the time the Granatelli's took over, I disagree that Andy felt uneven tolerances were THE MAJOR FLAW in the VS-57.....................Anyone else have an opinion here?:huh:

Well I thought it was the drive element set too.

So, I'll hazard a guess and say the oiling system. I base this on the fact that they brought out the direct oiling version, dipstick oil coolers, etc to try to improve the oiling system.

1 hour ago, r1lark said:

Well I thought it was the drive element set too.

So, I'll hazard a guess and say the oiling system. I base this on the fact that they brought out the direct oiling version, dipstick oil coolers, etc to try to improve the oiling system.

Yes, the main problem was/is the internal oiling system.... A problem that really never was completely solved!.......per Andy Granatelli!:)

As an aside, the last versions of the ball-drive superchargers (sn-93 and up), used a larger volume oil pump. The plunger is a larger diameter, (as well as the pump body). And is a good upgrade for the SN-60 blowers. Also, the bronze ball driver is much better than the aluminum ones.