Production question

63 Avanti R2

I have a 63 Avanti R2. The VIN reads "63R2585" it was made Jan 11 1963...does that mean that was the 585th car made or was it the 2,585th car made since they started production in 1962???

Steve

I have a 63 Avanti R2. The VIN reads "63R2585" it was made Jan 11 1963...does that mean that was the 585th car made or was it the 2,585th car made since they started production in 1962???

Steve

Serial numbers started at 63R-1001, so your car would be the 1,585th car made.

The earliest Studebaker Avanti's have the rearview mirrors mounted on the fenders and DO NOT have rain gutters over the doors and side windows.

Do you have either?

Ernie N

My rearview mirrors are right by the vent window and there is rain gutters.

How do you tighten those mirrors? They seem to be loose when trying to adjust.

When did Avanti make the switch?

Steve

Mirrors were generally dealer installed. The rule of thumb seems to be '63 cars had the mirrors on the tops of the front fenders and '64's had them on the door by the wing vent. I'm sure different dealers did them differently...the '63 I owned had the mirror on the door, but since I wasn't the original owner, I have no idea how it was originally mounted.

The door mounted mirrors have a nut inside the door that the screws tighten into. You have to take the interior door panel off to access them. Replacements are quite available. If it's the mirror head that's loose, I don't know if there is a repair though someone here might have come up with a way. Regardless, reproductions are available.

Rain channels seem to have been added sometime in mid-production but were also added to earlier cars after the fact.

Mirrors were generally dealer installed. The rule of thumb seems to be '63 cars had the mirrors on the tops of the front fenders and '64's had them on the door by the wing vent. I'm sure different dealers did them differently...the '63 I owned had the mirror on the door, but since I wasn't the original owner, I have no idea how it was originally mounted.

The door mounted mirrors have a nut inside the door that the screws tighten into. You have to take the interior door panel off to access them. Replacements are quite available. If it's the mirror head that's loose, I don't know if there is a repair though someone here might have come up with a way. Regardless, reproductions are available.

Rain channels seem to have been added sometime in mid-production but were also added to earlier cars after the fact.

Thanks, Gunslinger. It's the mirror head thats loose. The mirror itself is solid (no wobble) I think these mirrors were put on at the dealer. I prefer them by the wing window instead of way out on the fender. You would have to have a telescope for a arm just to adjust it from the drivers seat!!!