Authenticty question...

J Boyle

I’m doing a glass-out, engine-out, repaint of my 63 R-1.

I’m replacing the two chrome roof retainers because the old ones, while not pitted, are pretty thin.

The S-I ad in the latest Avanti magazine (#144) poses a question.

Do I need the plastic roof insert with the chrome “S†or the gold “S�

The ad says the gold “S†is used on early 1963 cars…but does not say when “early†ends and “late†begins. (Unlike the hood insert which apparently went from gold to chrome for the start of 64 production).

My car is 2788, assembled in late (21-22) January of 1963.

Any judges out there?

The "S" emblem changed from gold to silver at or about car #R4879 in early August 1963. The cars on the assembly line weren't always in sequence of VIN, so while it's recorded that R4879 was the first to have silver "S" emblems, it's entirely possible a car with an earlier VIN was in line behind it and received them also, but you're quite safe using a gold emblem on your car with its VIN and date of manufacture.

I’m doing a glass-out, engine-out, repaint of my 63 R-1.

I’m replacing the two chrome roof retainers because the old ones, while not pitted, are pretty thin.

The S-I ad in the latest Avanti magazine (#144) poses a question.

Do I need the plastic roof insert with the chrome “S†or the gold “S�

The ad says the gold “S†is used on early 1963 cars…but does not say when “early†ends and “late†begins. (Unlike the hood insert which apparently went from gold to chrome for the start of 64 production).

My car is 2788, assembled in late (21-22) January of 1963.

Any judges out there?

If you dont tell us us. We won't know. Lets see now.putting note to self.. J Boyle has ?????What was it I was typing.........lol

As Gunslinger said . Its not going to be a problem. I waited Ten years for S I to make them.lol

If you dont tell us us. We won't know. Lets see now.putting note to self.. J Boyle has ?????What was it I was typing.........lol

As Gunslinger said . Its not going to be a problem. I waited Ten years for S I to make them.lol

I was asking if there were any judges out there so I could get the "official" straight scoop.

What do THEY expect to see?

I was asking if there were any judges out there so I could get the "official" straight scoop.

What do THEY expect to see?

I will bring it up this evenings. On our AOAI board meeting conference call.

Karl, Judging commitee member. Will post and answer for you.

I will bring it up this evenings. On our AOAI board meeting conference call.

Karl, Judging commitee member. Will post and answer for you.

Good morning John, Discussed you question last nite.And your having a early Avanti 2788 would require a Gold S on the hood. If your Avanti were built later around 4870. It could go either way.Hope this answers your question. Karl

I have a 63R2 with VIN 63R2585 and It was born in Jan 63. I have a silver S on the hood and both c posts. Is that correct?

Steve

Edited by 63 Avanti R2

According to all the information we have, your car should have a gold "S" on the hood and sail panels. Never say never, but it looks like they've been changed at some point on your car. If it doesn't bother you, don't worry about it unless you want it to be as authentic as possible.

Good morning John, Discussed you question last nite.And your having a early Avanti 2788 would require a Gold S on the hood. If your Avanti were built later around 4870. It could go either way.Hope this answers your question. Karl

Thank you for taking up the question....so gold it will be!

The car's going to be as stock as possible...the main difference will be in solid black instead of red & black "salt & pepper" carpet.

I figure if you're gonna do it, do it right. :)