oldjkoeiniowa

oldjoeiniowa

we are completing renovation and have come upon a glitch with my R2 engine.  The oil filler stands proud in front of the carburator barely missing the closed hood.  I have looked at plenty of pictures of avanti 289's and haven't found  any pictures with this oil filler.  does anybody have an idea why my engine has this anomaly?

Avanti's never came from the factory with an oil filter in that location.  In mid 1962 the full flow block was phased in, with oil filter down low on passenger side of engine.  I have worked on Avanti  R 1001, with origional engine, the first one that was sold to the public.     Lou Cote  Avanti Authenticity Chairperson.

As previously stated that sounds like the location of the partial flow oil filter as used on early blocks. It can however be used on later full flow blocks as well with the use of a cover to allow the oil to circulate around the engine and be filtered on top.  Right hand drive cars for instance used the partial flow location on later blocks as the steering arm can hit the oil filter with the full flow set up and limit steering.

Have a look on the passenger side lower rear portion of the block for a cover plate. If you have the cover plate you can remove the 2 bolts and install the full flow bracket and oil filter  into its original location and remove the partial flow from on top of the motor.

I hope that makes sense.

pb

5 hours ago, JLBKY said:

As Gary said above............The key to telling you about your engine is the engine number.

John

FWIW, the engine number indicates in what body the block was originally installed and with what parts it was originally built.  Problem is, Stude V8s are now 60-70 years old and have been through many reincarnations.  

One local Avanti owner bought a long-distance R2.  When it arrived, there was a stock 259" under the supercharger.  

Another time, I bought a P-code 289" and even verified there were dished pistons inside.  Problem was, an unscrupulous SDC member had installed a 259" crankshaft.

Bottom line - the only way to know what he has is to disassemble and check.

jack vines