R4 Prices!

mfg

In 1972, STU-V, a California dealer in high performance Stude  parts, offered a complete NOS Avanti R4 carburetion assembly... (including dual quad aluminum intake manifold, 3810S & 3811S AFB front & rear carbs, intake & carb base gaskets, fuel lines, fittings, fuel filter & linkage, and an original R4 air cleaner assembly).... for the sum of ........?.......

1) $175.00........2) $200.00......3) $325.00......or......4) $450.00

20 hours ago, studegary said:

For 1972 prices, I thought $175.  Since this is mostly a guess, I did not input it earlier.  

Sorry, $175.00 is not correct.:(

CORRECT ANSWER....#2,...... $200.00!:o

In 1972, I was stationed on a ship in San Diego. Always went out the 32nd Street Gate and passed STU-V almost every day, in my 1963 Avanti. I would stop by often, and remember seeing an R-4 manifold. Buying something like that was not even a consideration, as to a young man in the Navy, it was a LOT of money. I just ran the numbers through one of those currency converters, and $200 then is equivalent to $1,222.55 now. I am sure, that would still be a lot of money, today, for a young sailor.

Edited by Georger

On 10/29/2019 at 6:28 PM, Georger said:

In 1972, I was stationed on a ship in San Diego. Always went out the 32nd Street Gate and passed STU-V almost every day, in my 1963 Avanti. I would stop by often, and remember seeing an R-4 manifold. Buying something like that was not even a consideration, as to a young man in the Navy, it was a LOT of money. I just ran the numbers through one of those currency converters, and $200 then is equivalent to $1,222.55 now. I am sure, that would still be a lot of money, today, for a young sailor.

Very interesting!:o....I (and I'm sure other Avanti fanatics) would love to hear more about your experiences visiting the STU-V Company....Would you mind sharing with us any details about the place that may come to mind?..... I'd also like to hear more about your '63 Studebaker Avanti!THANKS!!....Ed:)