Mystery Lights

Jim78

My '78 has what appear to be two small red indicator lights on the front of the console, located to either side of the "Fasten Seat Belt" warning light. The bezels are the same as those on the green turn signal indicators on the instrument panel. I have yet to see either of them light up. Can anyone give me a clue to what they might be?

My '70 doesn't have anything like that but does your car have an electrically heated rear window defogger...the kind with wires on the back glass? If so, I would guess one of those lights is an indicator light for when it's in operation. There should also be a switch for it.

The other could be an indicator for when the a/c compressor is in operation. Just making a wild guess on that. Maybe even a door ajar warning light. Avanti Motors merely adapted a lot of things rather than integrating them into the car's design. Anything is possible.

Maybe it's an indicator for a cloaking device? If you can see your car it doesn't work anymore. Sorry...couldn't resist that one!

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge on a '78 will fill us all in on that...I'm just guessing.

Good guess, Gunslinger! The light on the left comes on when the "Deicer" switch is turned on (rear window defroster). I hadn't had occasion to turn it on before.

Following that train of thought, there is another switch marked "Aux. Lights" on the console which may be intended to turn on driving or fog lamps. Currently, nothing happens when I turn it on, but that may be the indicator lamp for those lights. The car currently has fog lamps, but the wires are not connected to anything at present. They were apparently added to hide the horns from the "cow catcher" which was removed.

The second light is indeed an indicator that the auxiliary lights are on. My '77 has the original Cibie driving lights, and when the aux light switch is on the light on the right lights up. These are wired such that they can operate independently of the headlights, so presume that is the reason for the indicator.