1963 Avanti R2

63 Avanti R2

I just purchased a build sheet from South Bend Museum. I have a question on what this means? "X84 AC3289 L&R

SOLD RUSH"

Thanks

Stude63

Edited by 63 Avanti R2

That may not be so unusual. I still have the build sheet for the '63 R1 I owned from 1976-1990 and it also shows "X84" and "AC3289 L&R". It's printed on the line right after "72A RADIO&ANT".

AC3289 sounds like an accessory of some sort...what I don't know. L&R suggests left and right. X84 is something I don't recognize either. "SOLD RUSH" suggests it was a car ordered for a specific customer and to rush it through production. A car ordered by a dealer for inventory likely wouldn't have that notation.

I don't remember anything unusual about the '63 I owned...no unusual accessories or anything like that, but it was thirteen years old when I bought it so anything might have been changed by that point.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about about this will answer the question.

That may not be so unusual. I still have the build sheet for the '63 R1 I owned from 1976-1990 and it also shows "X84" and "AC3289 L&R". It's printed on the line right after "72A RADIO&ANT".

AC3289 sounds like an accessory of some sort...what I don't know. L&R suggests left and right. X84 is something I don't recognize either. "SOLD RUSH" suggests it was a car ordered for a specific customer and to rush it through production. A car ordered by a dealer for inventory likely wouldn't have that notation.

I don't remember anything unusual about the '63 I owned...no unusual accessories or anything like that, but it was thirteen years old when I bought it so anything might have been changed by that point.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about about this will answer the question.

X84 AC3289 L&R is printed right under 63 ELEC WASH 77 REAR SPEAK

Also, where is the switch on the dash for my electric washers? Is it part of the wiper switch?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the washer switch is a foot switch located under the dash by the left kick panel. I think it looks something like a small parking brake foot pedal.

Thanks for your help, Gunslinger. I will call Southbend and ask about the code.

Stude63

Thanks for your help, Gunslinger. I will call Southbend and ask about the code.

Stude63

Gunslinger....found the switch, the location is just as you described it.

Thanks again!!!

Edited by 63 Avanti R2

South Bend is wrong. According to the parts manual, AC3289 is black seat belts, front and rear as Ernie said. Why the build sheet has L&R is beyond me as that it suggests left and right. I also thought seat belts were standard equipment, but maybe the build sheet merely records what color seat belts were installed.

Outside rear view mirrors were dealer installed I thought. Maybe if they might have been listed on the build sheet, they were packed inside the car for dealer installation, like the wheel covers were. Mirrors were also AC-3310, not AC-3289.

I just double checked myself and I did read right. It bothers me to pass on mis-information. Thanks for backing me up, Bruce!

ErnieR

South Bend is wrong. According to the parts manual, AC3289 is black seat belts, front and rear as Ernie said. Why the build sheet has L&R is beyond me as that it suggests left and right. I also thought seat belts were standard equipment, but maybe the build sheet merely records what color seat belts were installed.

Outside rear view mirrors were dealer installed I thought. Maybe if they might have been listed on the build sheet, they were packed inside the car for dealer installation, like the wheel covers were. Mirrors were also AC-3310, not AC-3289.

I just purchased a build sheet from South Bend Museum. I have a question on what this means? "X84 AC3289 L&R

SOLD RUSH"

Thanks

Stude63

This information is from the Studebaker price list dated Oct. 1, 1962. X means it was not factory installed. 84 is for front seat belts,left & right. 85 is for rear seat belts,left & right. Quote from price list. " Front belts will be furnished at extra charge on Avanti unless order specifies to omit"

Mystery solved. Thanks for finding that information.

Thanks to all of you guys for the info. I talked to a guy at the Stude Museum in Southbend and he thought seat belts were standard equipment. Looks like he needs to do his homework.

I do have black seat belts in the front and none in the back.

Thanks again guys

Steve