Steering Wheel Question original style

Luma

Does anyone know if the original Stude Avanti Steering wheel steel ring is welded to the two center bar spokes? I recently purchased a nice woodgrain 64 style and it seems a bit loose. I noticed some play and see a few cracks near the bar on both sides. Is it just the molded plastic holding the rim to the center part? Anyone ever get a wheel restored to NOS condition? Thanks for you help, Luma

I don't know the answer to how the steering wheel is put together, but for having it restored, contact Gary's Steering Wheel Restoration in Carlisle, PA. I've seen their work and it's beautiful. His website is <http://www.garyssteeringwheel.com/>.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if the original Stude Avanti Steering wheel steel ring is welded to the two center bar spokes? I recently purchased a nice woodgrain 64 style and it seems a bit loose. I noticed some play and see a few cracks near the bar on both sides. Is it just the molded plastic holding the rim to the center part? Anyone ever get a wheel restored to NOS condition? Thanks for you help, Luma

Yes, the steel inner core horizontal bars of the steering wheel are welded to the main round portion of the steering wheel inner core before they were incased in plastic.

My steering wheel was also loose because the welds broke. I had the steel welded again and was able to do this because the plastic cracked and was removed from the area behind the wheel at the joint.

Now that it is welded and strong, I'll use JB Weld to glue the plastic pieces back onto the wheel and once set up, refinish and paint.