Gas Cap

Ray K.

On my '81 I matched up a "screw" style cap with one at an auto parts store. My '81 needs the newer style, threaded, screw on cap.

I had to modify it by grinding off the twist tabs, so as to allow the car door flap to fully close.

Paul

Later, I did one better, and bought a basic old style smoothie "chrome" cap. All I was after was the shiny part, so the application didn't matter.... kind of resembles a baby moon hub cap.... then, I carefully disassembled/destroyed it, saving only that shiny top.

I then epoxied this shiny top onto my existing cap, after trial fitting and plastic filing/grinding, to make sure the new modified cap allowed my door flap to fully close. Looks cool, like an old style cap on the modern tank end.

Edited by theGman

On my '81 I matched up a "screw" style cap with one at an auto parts store. My '81 needs the newer style, threaded, screw on cap.

I had to modify it by grinding off the twist tabs, so as to allow the car door flap to fully close.

Paul

Later, I did one better, and bought a basic old style smoothie "chrome" cap. All I was after was the shiny part, so the application didn't matter.... kind of resembles a baby moon hub cap.... then, I carefully disassembled/destroyed it, saving only that shiny top.

I then epoxied this shiny top onto my existing cap, after trial fitting and plastic filing/grinding, to make sure the new modified cap allowed my door flap to fully close. Looks cool, like an old style cap on the modern tank end.

I found a perfect fit at the local Advance Auto. For future reference, it is part #6817, manufactured by Cooling Systems Technologies. It "clicks" when snug, so you can turn it to a position where there is no interference between the tabs and the fuel compartment door.

By the way, Joe, your car is the spittin' image of mine except for the wheels. I went with original Studebaker Avanti reproduction wheel covers. Not as sporty, but real easy to keep clean!

Ray