Need some information

Eric Strauss

I might be coming in possession of 63' Avanti. The car has been sitting in a barn for over 20 years. This is what I know needs repair

1. Rear Glass $1000 or Less

2. Needs Brakes, original reason it was left in a barn for over 20 years.

3. This deals with the engine, the engine was replaced with a small block Chevy 350, minus gaskets, belts, hoses, change all the fluids, anything specific I would need to do to get the Engine operational.

4. Anything I'm missing?

Thank you now for all your help.

Eric Strauss

Hopefully a new Studebaker owner soon.

I hope you're getting the car cheap.

Good luck finding a rear glass. New windshields are still available, no so with the rear. You'll have to find a donor car or someone parting out one.

Do yourself a favor with the brakes...spend the money and get the Turner brake conversion kit. Rebuilding or replacing the originals with identical parts will run about as much. While you're at it, convert the single circuit master cylinder to a dual master cylinder. Also install a mechanical brake light switch and eliminate the pressure operated switch...an easy conversion as well with about $10 in parts plus the effort to do it.

The rear brakes will likely need replacing and rebuilding...those parts are available but some parts (like wheel cylinders) are pricey. The original wheel cylinders are likely rusted shut anyway. Replace all the rubber hoses and very carefully check the metal brake lines...they may need replacing as well.

Pull the rear axles and replace the seals and repack or replace the axle bearings.

Before trying to start the engine, remove the spark plugs and squirt in some penetrating oil...let it sit for several days, then try to turn the engine over by hand. The engine may require a complete tear down to make sure everything internally is OK. No way of telling what kind of shape it will be after twenty years. After you determine what you're actually facing with the engine, you can consider simply replacing seals, etc., a rebuild, or replacing it with a crate engine which is usually the most cost effective way to go.

You might consider sourcing a Studebaker engine to put in it, but since the original is gone and will never be original again, I'd stick with a small block Chevy unless you want to make a Studebaker powered resto-mod.

Also...before you spend any time or money on the car, check the hog troughs. If they're gone and require replacing, that is a major undertaking. You would have to consider simply selling it as a parts car or parting it out yourself. Without replacing the hog troughs if they're needed, you're wasting any further money and effort.

Thank you for the info Gunslinger, the price of the car is right, free, but our friend has to pay the $5000 storage fee, but I get free towing out of it. On the rear Glass Safelite says they have it on line for about $1000, autumm discount $900, but that is online and will probably have to order it ans wait for it to come in.

Edited by Eric Strauss

Personally, it doesn't sound like an attractive deal. $6,000 with glass plus $800 with brakes ( Turner Fronts, add another $800 for the rear discs ) and then whatever else. Sorting out a Chevy Engined Stude can be a chore and I wouldn't be surprised if the brakes weren't the only reason it was parked. Running all Stude R1's aren't selling for much more than what you would be starting out with.

I don't mean to be discouraging but I would think twice before jumping at this deal.

ErnieR

Thank you for the info Gunslinger, the price of the car is right, free, but our friend has to pay the $5000 storage fee, but I get free towing out of it. On the rear Glass Safelite says they have it on line for about $1000, autumm discount $900, but that is online and will probably have to order it ans wait for it to come in.

Personally, it doesn't sound like an attractive deal. $6,000 with glass plus $800 with brakes ( Turner Fronts, add another $800 for the rear discs ) and then whatever else. Sorting out a Chevy Engined Stude can be a chore and I wouldn't be surprised if the brakes weren't the only reason it was parked. Running all Stude R1's aren't selling for much more than what you would be starting out with.

I don't mean to be discouraging but I would think twice before jumping at this deal.

ErnieR

Our friend will be paying the fee, since it's his car, but he will be signing the title over to me. So it's no so bad.

Now that's a friend!!

I've had almost every nut and bolt off my car in the 13 years I've had it so when you start getting into don't hesitate to contact me. Welcome to the fold.

ErnieR

Our friend will be paying the fee, since it's his car, but he will be signing the title over to me. So it's no so bad.

Now that's a friend!!

I've had almost every nut and bolt off my car in the 13 years I've had it so when you start getting into don't hesitate to contact me. Welcome to the fold.

ErnieR

Thanks, I'll be asking many questions, likely my father-in-law enjoys working on cars, so hopefully he will help me with some of it. I'll probably post when I get the car, it might be a few months, till he comes up from Alabama.