finding my VIN

Palantirion

Where is the VIN plate located on a '63-'64 Avanti. I've check the usual places around the door and jambs, and under the hood. Could be I missed it, could be that it was removed before I got the car. I'm trying to match the VIN on the registration to the VIN on the car, to make sure the registration didn't get switched with another Avanti my dad once owned.

The VIN plate on a Stude Avanti is on the top of the frame rail on the passenger side of the car. Look under the hood, under the area where the blower fan is and you should see it. It may well be covered in oil and grease that needs wiping off. The plate should say "Studebaker Corporation" and underneath that line, either "63R-XXXX" or simply "R-XXXX", depending on when the car was assembled.

The VIN plate on a Stude Avanti is on the top of the frame rail on the passenger side of the car. Look under the hood, under the area where the blower fan is and you should see it. It may well be covered in oil and grease that needs wiping off. The plate should say "Studebaker Corporation" and underneath that line, either "63R-XXXX" or simply "R-XXXX", depending on when the car was assembled.

-Thanks! I found it. says R-3785, although my registration says R-3785B. I don't know where the "B" comes from, as it's not on the plate. From the production chart I've seen online this means that my Avanti was produced in March of '63. What model year does this make the car, '63 or early '64? A friend of mine told me that I have 1962 taillights, as they are stamped with the date, but I don't know if he's correct - or they could have been replaced.

For some reason, a number of Avanti's have the "B" added to the VIN. There's been speculation why, but I don't know if anyone has uncovered the real reason.

Your car is definitely a '63. The tail light lenses reflect the year they met federal regs that pertain to them. In fact, my '70 Avanti has tail light lenses that have '62 molded into them. As long as there's no redesign of the lens or federal regs change, a manufacturer can use the same lens indefinitely. Actually, I've never seen an Avanti with the original design lenses that weren't 1962 marked. Studebaker must have made a ton of such parts as Avanti Motors used them for many years. Outside of the engine and few other items, my '70 was probably 95% left over Studebaker parts when it was made.

For some reason, a number of Avanti's have the "B" added to the VIN. There's been speculation why, but I don't know if anyone has uncovered the real reason.

Your car is definitely a '63. The tail light lenses reflect the year they met federal regs that pertain to them. In fact, my '70 Avanti has tail light lenses that have '62 molded into them. As long as there's no redesign of the lens or federal regs change, a manufacturer can use the same lens indefinitely. Actually, I've never seen an Avanti with the original design lenses that weren't 1962 marked. Studebaker must have made a ton of such parts as Avanti Motors used them for many years. Outside of the engine and few other items, my '70 was probably 95% left over Studebaker parts when it was made.

Hmmm, it's registered as a '64, according to the DMV. Could be that there was a mistake made long ago. Which VINs were the early '64 with the round headlights?

Thanks for the taillight info. Good to know.

Hmmm, it's registered as a '64, according to the DMV. Could be that there was a mistake made long ago. Which VINs were the early '64 with the round headlights?

Thanks for the taillight info. Good to know.

Being registered as a '64 was not uncommon. Since the VIN had no year designator dealers would title them as a '64 if they sat on the lot past the model year change. That way they didn't lose anything due to depreciation. That can't be done now as VIN's have been required to have model year designators since about 1981 or so, though most car makers were already doing that by then. It was about 1981 when the Feds required a standardized seventeen digit VIN code to manufacturers of autos, trucks, trailers, etc.

It has created some confusion as some true '63 cars have unknowingly or otherwise been represented as one of the few "transitional" model Avanti's...early production '64's with round headlights and some different interior appointments from '63 and later '64s. There are supposedly about eighty true "transitional" cars...at least the the figure I've seen regarding that.

I wouldn't worry about it. When it comes to getting necessary parts for your car you go by the VIN rather than the registered model year anyway. As I said...it's not an uncommon thing. It was done way back when the car was first sold and titled.

My 1989, made in Youngstown, still has the "62" tail lights!