Correct Air Cleaner cover

Dan S

I can't say for sure about a '78 but I think it would have been black which is what the engine would have come with from GM.  I had a '78 Corvette L82 and it came with a black air cleaner cover though chrome covers were and are available from the aftermarket.  In the smog and increased safety regulations era I can't see any car maker adding any more expense than necessary.

Just my opinion...but I don't care about authenticity for the Avanti II.  There were so many individual changes and custom modifications to those cars specified by buyers and the factory few will know what is and isn't original or authentic.  Mods for some Avanti II cars were a blessing compared to how some left the factory with truly ugly colors and interiors.  My wife said the '70s weren't known as the "tasteless decade" without reason.

When I had my '63, I was concerned with authenticity.  With my '78, I am more concerned with having the car the way that I want.  I definitely agree with Gunslinger's opinion. 

If you are worried about a judge that probably couldn’t decipher what was original throughout an Avanti II anyway, leave the black cover on for the judge, then put your chrome cover back on so you can enjoy the look the other 99.9% of the time!  I agree with Jim and Gunslinger. Enjoy your car the way you like it. Most people don’t know what an Avanti is anyway, let alone what air cleaner it had. Mike