Modified Avanti!

mfg

Special modifications were done to Studebaker Avanti 63R-1025 by the Granatellis.....Andy once claimed this was done so he could beat the ......?....... with this car!

1) Corvettes......2) Hemis.......3) Pontiac 421's.....or.....4) Chrysler 300's

3 minutes ago, VtMike said:

I have read that Andy claimed he needed to shift at 8000 rpm to beat Hemis in a 1/2 mile race, so # 2 is my guess.  Would be very interested to hear more about the modifications that gave 1025 that kind of go-power.   

And you are CORRECT!:)....(I visited with Ron & Geoff Crall (who own this Avanti) a few years ago, and got to look it over.....The interesting mods on 63R-1025 make me believe that the Granatellis truly were super-sharp mechanics!)

The Granatellis were super sharp mechanics and had an intuitive sense of engineering and what works and what doesn't...and Andy also was a master at stretching the rules and even crossing the line without being caught to get what he wanted to win or get added publicity.  Basically...Egbert said to Andy the results he wanted and Andy provided them as long as Egbert didn't ask too many questions how it was accomplished.  I think that's referred to today as "plausible deniability".