Trunk hinges

Wasjunk

1 hour ago, Wasjunk said:

Has anybody rebuilt trunk hinges to get rid of the slop or are there any new ones out there?

I've never heard this question asked before.....I understand that the cars are getting older though!:o

Over the course of time, the trunk hinges are not used enough (unless, of course, someone is a traveling salesman) that much wear should occur!

The only issues I've dealt with concerning Avanti trunk hinges are (most commonly) the four springs getting weak or breaking.....or bent trunk hinges due to accident damage.

Dan Booth over at Nostalgic Motors no doubt has NOS ones!:)

18 minutes ago, Wasjunk said:

I have replaced the springs with new from Dan. Still mot happy with the slop in the operation of opening the lid

At this point in time there (unfortunately) are several Avantis being parted out.....Since '63-'89 trunk hinges are interchangeable, perhaps you can advertise for a decent used set?

Slop is worn or lose pins and holes. Front edge dips down before hinge starts to open. This is causing interference between lid and body when lifting. Might be common problem but it is for sure not acceptable. Will rebuild these if necessary to correct issue

18 hours ago, Wasjunk said:

Slop is worn or lose pins and holes. Front edge dips down before hinge starts to open. This is causing interference between lid and body when lifting. Might be common problem but it is for sure not acceptable. Will rebuild these if necessary to correct issue

Is the weather seal shot?  A new piece of rubber may prevent the front edge from dipping down and catching.

20 hours ago, Wasjunk said:

The weather seal is a good suggestion!....Also 'shimming' the deck lid slightly away from the hinge at the front may temporarily give you the extra clearance you need when opening.

I suspect you know this because you have come this far but be sure that you have all the hinges and other parts, in good nick, that will effect fitment on the car and fitted prior to, hopefully prime, but most certainly paint as these bodies are pretty fragile toward nicks and scratches. 

I edged my doors/body openings with paint and rehung them prior to final spraying. the hood and trunk I assembled after painting. The hood was worry-some but I have enough overhead space and lifting capacity to set it in position alone.

Please post pictures when you're done, Love to see pretty-pretty Avanti's

I worked most of the day on trunk lid. I installed new rubber and shimmed. It fits fair and latches fine. I am still not happy with lose pins. Took back apart and taking hinges to shop and FIX properly. I will report back as to my solution. Drilling and using locking shoulder fasteners with nylon shims is what Im thinking right now?