Gas Tank?

Silverplate

1964 Avanti R2, just had the carburetor professionally rebuilt. Runs great except full acceleration wants to die. Seems to be getting some type of fine sediment in the carb. Anybody think I should pull the gas tank and have it cleaned and gone through? Any other ideas. First post. Thanks.

It probably is a good idea to pull the tank, however, do you have the glass bowl filter or the inline can type? I ask because gas tank sediment should be clogging the filter not the carb. BUT, if the filter is deteriorating...

Ernie R

1964 Avanti R2, just had the carburetor professionally rebuilt. Runs great except full acceleration wants to die. Seems to be getting some type of fine sediment in the carb. Anybody think I should pull the gas tank and have it cleaned and gone through? Any other ideas. First post. Thanks.

There's also the filter sock on the pickup in the gas tank. It's not uncommon for cars that old to have that sock deteriorate or get clogged.

You can check the tank fairly well by letting the gas level get low and look down the filler with a flashlight. You'll be able to see if any sediment is floating around before deciding to take the tank out...which still isn't a bad idea and have it cleaned and checked for leaks and areas that may be about to rust through.

Be sure your gas tank vent is clear. The vent hose that drops down thru the frame often get plugged by insects. After driving check if you have a vacuum in the tank when you remove the cap. You could try driving with the cap off or loose to see if that makes a difference. Also check that the fuel pump has the pressure line to the supercharger to boost the fuel pressure. good luck.