My 1964 Avanti runs hot

jdzeiger

I purchased my 1964 Avanti in Dec 2007. It has not over heated but runs hot most of the time. 180 to 200 on the gage. I know some Avant's have added elect fans n front of radiator. Is there a good P/N for one of these? What about a scoop of some type? Is there a new better type of core for radiator? ANY info will be helpful.

Thanks - JOE

180-200 degrees is fine and about normal for an Avanti...especially considering it's 44 years old. You can do things to help maintain your cooling system...check and make sure it maintains pressure and that includes the radiator cap. Keep it flushed and full of a proper 50-50 mix of coolant and water. You can also add a bottle of Water Wetter...it's an additive that treats the interior metals of the cooling system that allow the coolant to flow better and increases its thermal efficiency...the ability to transfer heat. It's available at places like Pep Boys, Advance Auto, Auto Zone, etc.

You can add electric fans if you want or find it necessary. I would check the fan clutch to make sure it's working properly and the belts are all tightened properly so there is no slippage. Keeping the car properly tuned up helps as well.

If you feel you need a new radiator core, any good radiator shop should be able to do that as long as the side tanks are in good shape. Ask for a core with more fins per inch...that increases the cooling area without resorting to a thicker core. I would do that only if it was necessary to fix a radiator problem.

An Avanti running between 180-200 is a cool running Avanti. I wouldn't touch a thing!

BTW, I often wonder if the placement of the temperature sending switch is the best for accurate temp readings. It's in the back of the head near an exhaust port. I though about putting one where the bleed valve is just to make a comparison.

ErnieR

I purchased my 1964 Avanti in Dec 2007. It has not over heated but runs hot most of the time. 180 to 200 on the gage. I know some Avant's have added elect fans n front of radiator. Is there a good P/N for one of these? What about a scoop of some type? Is there a new better type of core for radiator? ANY info will be helpful.

Thanks - JOE