Advice on Avante R2

robinlarry

I'm considering the Avanti that just left Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Studebaker-Avanti-R2-SUPERCHARGED-4-SPEED-/174022904356?hash=item288492ca24%3Ag%3A9gMAAOSw~jZctOKl&nma=true&si=gToK5w1kOvpRJyytlngA1jMfdEk%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Would anyone have an ID on the engine so I can check on whether it is original. I believe it was rebuilt at some time. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Larry

Larry,

You'll find more info and pictures of this car on Bob's Studebaker Resource Website at http://www.studebaker-info.org/avantix4.html#r4300.  Look for its VIN.

I don't see an engine number in the material on Bob's site.  The engine is painted red; it should be black (it's black in the 3rd entry on Bob's site).  You could certainly call the seller and ask for a picture of the stamp pad on the engine, but I don't see any documents with the engine number on them.  The 2nd entry on Bob's website does refer to the seller's dad rebuilding "the 289 that's in it now," which implies it might not be the original engine.

Pete

4 hours ago, robinlarry said:

Pete,

How much do you think that effects the value of the car? Did the R2 have unique heads / block ID? The P.O. did say the engine was 'correct.'

The Engine Number would be unique to R2 engines in an Avanti.

22 hours ago, studegary said:

The Engine Number would be unique to R2 engines in an Avanti.

And only the engine number.  All the '62-'64 Studebaker V8 blocks are functionally identical.  A truck or a Lark will have the same block.

As to the value, yes, on a 100-point restoration, having the correct "number-matching" block would add some value at resale.  For the average Avanti, it makes no difference.

jack vines