convertible top

billmdonn

Had my 87 Avanti out today for a little test run before Lancaster. Got home and the top won't go up. I am hoping it is only a fuse. I got my owner's manual out and for a change it had the information I thought I needed. It clearly stated that the top was controled by a 30 amp fuse in slot number 14. I went out immediately, crawled under the car cover, pulled the fuse from slot 14. It was certainly the largest fuse in the panel, it is not a amber or red color like the other fuses, instead it is in a metal casing. Inscribe on the fuse is GTE 20A-12V. So now what do I do. Do a get a 30 amp fuse as the owners manual calls for, or do a get a fuse exactly like the one I removed. Furthermore, it might not even be the fuse. It could be the switch, it could be the pump. For now I am hoping it is the fuse. But which one should I go with????

Always go with the most basic and work up from there. Start with the fuse. If the manual calls for a 30A and you found a 20A, it could be the whole problem. Maybe someone replaced it with the wrong size somewhere back in time. Replace it with a proper 30A fuse and see what happens. If it works, you're golden. If it still doesn't work or blows the 30A fuse, then you have work to do.

If it still doesn't work and the fuse doesn't blow, use a test light and see if the fuse is even getting power and then if the power is coming out of the other side. You also would need to check the electric motor to see if it's getting power...same goes for the switch, etc. Try and isolate what area of the wiring harness the problem is confined to. If you're getting power all the way to the electric motor and it still doesn't work, you know that's the problem.

It could always be a bad ground, but let's hope the problem is nothing more than the fuse.

Sounds like someone has installed a circuit breaker, I use them for problems that only happen on occassion. Just replace with a standard fuse and see if it works.

Jim Wood