Avanti Dash Pad Replacement

Graham

I have just installed a new replacement dash pad over the fiberglass 1963 dash. It was purchased from a reputable vendor and is new - although I have had to store it for about a year before I got time to do the install. The pad fits rather tight and I had quite a job getting it on.

The bottom edge is held in place with clips but, the top edge has no mounting hardware except for three studs above the vanity. There is a 2" lip of vinyl and backing foam all along the top edge. On the original dash this was folded over the top edge and glued in place. The 2" lip on the new dash is about 1/8" thick - vinyl plus a foam backing. It is quite stiff and doesn't want to bend over the upper dash lip.

My problem is how to attach the top of the dash to the fiberglass. There is now way that I can see to fold and glue as per the original. I am thinking of using small pop rivets so as not to weaken the fiberglass - and with pop rivit washers to better hold the vinyl.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have just installed a new replacement dash pad over the fiberglass 1963 dash. It was purchased from a reputable vendor and is new - although I have had to store it for about a year before I got time to do the install. The pad fits rather tight and I had quite a job getting it on.

The bottom edge is held in place with clips but, the top edge has no mounting hardware except for three studs above the vanity. There is a 2" lip of vinyl and backing foam all along the top edge. On the original dash this was folded over the top edge and glued in place. The 2" lip on the new dash is about 1/8" thick - vinyl plus a foam backing. It is quite stiff and doesn't want to bend over the upper dash lip.

My problem is how to attach the top of the dash to the fiberglass. There is now way that I can see to fold and glue as per the original. I am thinking of using small pop rivets so as not to weaken the fiberglass - and with pop rivit washers to better hold the vinyl.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.