Dash replacement

J Boyle

I'm thinking about replacing my 63 dash with a new unit from SI.

It's in good overall shape, but it would allow me to:

1. Get rid of a hairline crack above the radio that's been fixed once so it can't be again,

2. Replace an inop front speaker with a better unit,

3. Have the radio cleaned/serviced

4. Get the clock repaired.

Is it a HUGE job?

How long does it take?

Do you need any special tools?

Any tips?

Would my used fawn dash be worth anything....it's a 7 out of 10 and better than most I've seen?

The job isn't terrible. Removing the seats makes it much easier to get underneath. Actually I would remove the steering wheel also. Make sure you disconnect the battery and tag the wires. Change the defroster hoses while you're in there and the trans tunnel cooler hoses if your car has them.

Also, some stereo speakers are too deep and won't leave enough room for the radio so be careful of your speaker choice.

Ernie R2 R5388

I'm thinking about replacing my 63 dash with a new unit from SI.

It's in good overall shape, but it would allow me to:

1. Get rid of a hairline crack above the radio that's been fixed once so it can't be again,

2. Replace an inop front speaker with a better unit,

3. Have the radio cleaned/serviced

4. Get the clock repaired.

Is it a HUGE job?

How long does it take?

Do you need any special tools?

Any tips?

Would my used fawn dash be worth anything....it's a 7 out of 10 and better than most I've seen?

Edited by ernier

It's definitely doable. Your old dash pad won't be worth much if anything, as you'll end up tearing it apart to remove it from the dash itself. It's on with adhesive that won't give easily.

While you have the dash out, do as Ernie said...carefully mark all the wiring...do everything he already said. Also, while you're there, change all the light bulbs from all the gauges, courtesy lights and glove box. That's very inexpensive and if your bulbs are original or have any age on them, it's easier to do it now rather than later piecemeal after the dash is re-installed and they start burning out. Also...wrap your steering column with some kind of padding so it doesn't get scratched up. That's all too easy to do during this process.

Ernie's correct about the front speaker...most aftermarket speakers have too big a magnet and won't clear the radio. While you're ordering from SI anyway, get a replacement speaker from them at the same time. Don't ask me how I know that! :angry:

One helpful tool to get...I bought from Costco a "headlight"...it is an LED light that bands around your head and the light is on your forehead. Wherever you turn your head the bright light shines. It is VERY helpful when operating under the dash when you need three hands free and no extras to hold a flashlight. Having small hands is a big help as well.

Before you commit to anything, BeAware that I ordered a dash from SI in January of this year and as of 2 weeks ago there was NO WORD from the manufacturer as to when or IF they would be coming in!!!! Ed changed vendors after some complaints after the last bunch came in and the new guy has yet to deliver or even return Ed's phone calls.

I gave up and took my old dash to Just Dashes in Van Nuys, CA. Visited the shop, they have done them before and are doing mine.......BUT they are 2X the cost of SI's, which doesn't mean much if you can't get one.

Go to Just Dashes website and take a look. The units they did do and have on display in their shop look very good and the vinyl they use is a very very close match to original plus I just sent them a sample of the Fawn color patch from Phantom who is doing the rest of my interior.

http://www.justdashes.com/Index.htm

I recently ordered the AOAI CD of all the Avanti newsletter/magazine issues. Well worth the price. A couple of really good "how to" illustrated articles written by owners who had done the dash removal: Nils Straaaiveit article on pages 38 and 39 of issue 82 - Fall/Winter 1992, and Nick Berger's article on pages 8-12 of issue 92 - Summer 1995. Berger also had photos of how Just Dashes made his new dashboard.

• 2 weeks later...

No index, Charlie. But I think one of the chapters has compiled (independently of this CD) an index of the tech articles. I'm enjoying scanning all the issues and printing out the material that I think will be of use to me down the road.

I've found a third article on this: Dick Shurson of Illinois, "Dashpad Replacement in a 1963 Avanti", on pages 33-35 of the Spring-summer 2002 Avanti Mag (issue #118)

Thanks for the tips, I have Avanti #118 (I ordered all the available back issues when I joined).

I might get the CD as well.

BTW: I called S-I and the dash's are still on backorder.

BTW: I called S-I and the dash's are still on backorder.

Yeap, that's what I was told in January...........I should be getting my Dash back from Just Dashes within the next week..........I'll let you know how it turned out.

HNCadet

• 1 month later...
........I should be getting my Dash back from Just Dashes within the next week..........I'll let you know how it turned out.

HNCadet

normal_justDash.JPG

Received the Dash this week, a little late, but a very nice job, very nice. The Glovebox door matches perfectly, the grain is consistent and matches the original very closely, color is very close, perhaps a shade lighter than the matching material from Phantom, depends on your lighting that your viewing in.

Yeap, that's what I was told in January...........I should be getting my Dash back from Just Dashes within the next week..........I'll let you know how it turned out.

HNCadet

'attrite1' --- If you did not destroy the Padded Dash that you took off, from the Fiberglass frame, I would be interested in buying it. email : shier2@juno.com ----- . I called Just Dashes', and they stated that they could not rebuild the Dash ( from the Fiberglass Frame ), if the padded foam was missing.

Actually they used it in rebuilding my dash...........I dropped off the entire dash/frame assembly to them and they did all the disassembly on that one. I just saw somewhere online that someone was parting out an AvantiII. I'll look around and see where that car was.

Found it, was already stripped of it's interior. I'll keep a lookout.

Edited by attrite1

• 2 months later...

As seen in a previous post...

"A couple of really good "how to" illustrated articles written by owners who had done the dash removal: Nils Straaaiveit article on pages 38 and 39 of issue 82 - Fall/Winter 1992, and Nick Berger's article on pages 8-12 of issue 92 - Summer 1995. Berger also had photos of how Just Dashes made his new dashboard."

Could anyone send me copies of these articles...I really don't want to spend $100 for the CD just now (I'm in the middle of an Avanti restoration...you know how it goes... :) )

I'll be glad to reimburse postage/copy costs.

Thanks...

John

As seen in a previous post...

"A couple of really good "how to" illustrated articles written by owners who had done the dash removal: Nils Straaaiveit article on pages 38 and 39 of issue 82 - Fall/Winter 1992, and Nick Berger's article on pages 8-12 of issue 92 - Summer 1995. Berger also had photos of how Just Dashes made his new dashboard."

Could anyone send me copies of these articles...I really don't want to spend $100 for the CD just now (I'm in the middle of an Avanti restoration...you know how it goes... :) )

I'll be glad to reimburse postage/copy costs.

Thanks...

John

Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll make copies for you and forward them. Don't worry about the postage.