Mystery Button

Desert Driver

Here's my '71 RQB.  I have no clue as to what the black spring loaded button does. It's under the dash and to the left of the steering wheel where Newman/Altman mounted the fog lights switch and two

speed switch for the rear window defroster. Any clues?  (yes, that's USDA certified spaghetti wiring in the background)

IMG_5670.thumb.jpeg.16724bd0881910c7f5ad7273c7c8e3f0.jpeg

The '70 I recently sold had an identical button in the same place.  It wasn't connected to anything and I never did know what it was supposed to do.  At first I thought it might be for the electric trunk release but mine had a different button for that.

Edited by Gunslinger

It is a "test switch" to make sure the red brake warning light on the dash is functioning. When you press the switch the warning light should light up. If it doesn't, check the bulb or the wiring. This warning light is there to alert you of low brake line pressure caused a leak in the system.

Edited by Randy Atkin

5 hours ago, Randy Atkin said:

It is a "test switch" to make sure the red brake warning light on the dash is functioning. When you press the switch the warning light should light up. If it doesn't, check the bulb or the wiring. This warning light is there to alert you of low brake line pressure caused a leak in the system.

Who'da thunk?! Problem is the warning light is so small and so low on the dash, it would never catch your attention if it showed up while driving. Now if it was attached to a warning chime or buzzer, that would do the trick. Or better yet, repurpose the button and use it for a seat ejector (sunroof models only). 

On 9/26/2019 at 10:45 PM, Desert Driver said:

Who'da thunk?! Problem is the warning light is so small and so low on the dash, it would never catch your attention if it showed up while driving. Now if it was attached to a warning chime or buzzer, that would do the trick. Or better yet, repurpose the button and use it for a seat ejector (sunroof models only). 

I know that you trying to be funny, but it is not a joke to many of us.  A friend, and long time Studebaker enthusiast, had a fatal result from being partially ejected from a sunroof in an accident.