"body color" chrome bumpers & "shaved" door handles

BillyBob

So, I've been thinking (?) about my "needing chrome" bumpers and doors with handles and separate locks.

Who has painted their 'chrome bumpers' body color? If done, now what do you think?

Too late did I realize the '77 (mine) had both exterior door handles and door locks. I prefer the 'look' of an integrated exterior door handle & lock. An Idea (?) popped into my head today - "shave" the handles & locks and replace with key-fob operated lock/latch. Who and done this and what are pitfalls? Would you do it again?

Bill

Haven't done either, my opinion is that the painted bumper approach looks kinda cheap, but then I tend to

be a purist when it comes to classic car exteriors; the door locks can be done inexpensively without

removing/shaving, which would require the car (or at least the doors) to be repainted... all you need to do

is tie motors into the same mechanisms that the inside lock knobs use...

universal kits are available that could be adapted.

As an example, I think the following 2 kits could be used together to accomplish the job, you just need to

find a place on the inside door panel to securely mount the motors, fabricate some control rods or flex cables,

and perhaps a couple of levers, then find a place to mount the receiver and run the wires to the motors.

And you can still use the key if the battery runs down:

http://commandoalarms.com/itm10005.htm

http://commandoalarms.com/itm100033.htm

Edited by WayneC

No, it's tempting but as the red one illustrates, the Avanti design needs the chrome. Painted looks no worse than the Blake bumpers and headlight wells, but rechroming would look much better. Door handles/locks - I think the original design did look a little better, but not enough to worry about it.

Too bad I can't convince myself that paint would look okay since I'm facing having to get my front bumper rechromed, but it doesn't.

I paid just under $700 to have my front 3 pieces and 1 rear piece replated at Vernes in

Los Angeles. Quick turn around and he knew his Avantis. They also fixed two large

rust spots on the rear and pulled a dent from the front. This was two years ago, might

be a little more now since EVERYTHING is more expensive.

http://www.verneschromeplating.com/contact.html

Tom

• 2 months later...
So, I've been thinking (?) about my "needing chrome" bumpers and doors with handles and separate locks.

Who has painted their 'chrome bumpers' body color? If done, now what do you think?

Too late did I realize the '77 (mine) had both exterior door handles and door locks. I prefer the 'look' of an integrated exterior door handle & lock. An Idea (?) popped into my head today - "shave" the handles & locks and replace with key-fob operated lock/latch. Who and done this and what are pitfalls? Would you do it again?

Bill