Ignition Lock/KEY

wdaly

For the past 6+ months I have been having difficulty removing the key from the "lock cylinder". Lately it is 50% of the time. Now it has gotten to the point where I am also having occasional difficulty turning the key to 'start'. I have found that if the wheels are straight vs turned I have less occasions of these problems. I am thinking the "LOCKING COLUMN" may be the problem. What concerns me most is that in addition to the lock - this whole 69 piece set-up also prevents shifting into gears / I don't want to find myself stranded somewhere someday. Any thoughts AND is there another way to be able to start car if I give-up on the factory set-up ie. separate start switch/button?

Bill Daly

The '88 Avanti should be the same as my '87, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, parts should be available and most shops or GM dealer can work on it.

For the past 6+ months I have been having difficulty removing the key from the "lock cylinder". Lately it is 50% of the time. Now it has gotten to the point where I am also having occasional difficulty turning the key to 'start'. I have found that if the wheels are straight vs turned I have less occasions of these problems. I am thinking the "LOCKING COLUMN" may be the problem. What concerns me most is that in addition to the lock - this whole 69 piece set-up also prevents shifting into gears / I don't want to find myself stranded somewhere someday. Any thoughts AND is there another way to be able to start car if I give-up on the factory set-up ie. separate start switch/button?

Bill Daly

Hi Bill

I had a similar problem. One of the metal shims under the steering column fell out so I put it back and tightend the steering column down and what I found out is if I tighted it too tight My ignition would not work and I could not shift the shifter. Try loosening up I think there are 4 bolts holding the steering column up and see if this makes a difference.