Outside rear view Mirror placement

coasthwy1

The original factory sales brochure shows no outside mirrors. Then we find outside mirrors on the fenders. There are also outside mirrors on the doors. Some have only a drivers side mirror. All appear to be correct. Anyone know why the different placement?

mirror1.jpg

mirror2.jpg

64avanti1.jpg

For 1963, Studebaker recommended that Avanti exterior mirrors be installed on the rear portion of the front fenders 'loosely' in line with the rear edge of the hood.....The door mount position was also mentioned in '63 as an 'alternate' mounting position.

For 1964, Studebaker recommended the door mount position......(Personally, I've always liked the look of fender mounted Avanti mirrors!):)

my 64 has them on the fender, there is a bonding seam to be care of.  Ill measure mine and tell you what I have; be right back............

I sent you a PM with 4 photos, 2 of which are with a tape measure. I was unable to take photos from my android, to my gmail to you, seems tonight my tech skills are after hours.....off

Thank you for the photos Mark. It sounds like placement was a matter of taste. I just received the Authenticity Manual from AOAI. The book has and will answer a lot of questions. It shows both locations for mirror placement as a Parts and Service letter with template.

63mirror1.jpg

63mirror2.jpg

this forum has provided me with lots of help and answers. the amazing fact of assisting each other is part of the joy of owning Studebakers.  the attached photo is of last years "garage tour" at my home whereas club members arrive hungry waiting for a good time. Just another excuse to drive. We ended up with about 45 cars; maybe 4 additional Studebakers in the lot.

image.png.fb77c5533d79105b142b22190c020989.png 

I read somewhere (maybe in this forum?) that Avantis were shipped to dealers without outside mirrors mounted and it was up to the dealer to mount them and choose the location, based on Studebaker recommendations. I also read that this was true with seat belts. The cars were shipped to dealers without seat belts installed and it was up to the dealer (and the buyer) whether to install them or not. My '63 Avanti had no outside mirrors at some point in the past (I've seen early photos) but the previous owner installed them on the fender. My car also has no seatbelts. I've considered adding seat belts, but I would probably have to lift the carpet to find the mounting points, and cut the carpet, so I have not done so.

At the time the Avanti was being built some states didn't require outside rear view mirrors...some only required a drivers side mirror.  It was easier to leave it up to the local dealers to install the mirror and it also was less likely for damage to occur during shipping without the mirrors installed.  While the seatbelts were standard equipment, they were also dealer installed.  Seat belts were probably a delete option.

3 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

At the time the Avanti was being built some states didn't require outside rear view mirrors...some only required a drivers side mirror.  It was easier to leave it up to the local dealers to install the mirror and it also was less likely for damage to occur during shipping without the mirrors installed.  While the seatbelts were standard equipment, they were also dealer installed.  Seat belts were probably a delete option.

Yes, seat belts were an option, however, on Avanti models front seat belts were included at extra cost unless the Avanti was ordered with them deleted.  

• 4 weeks later...

I have the StratoVue mirrors mounted on the fenders and they look great, but... For driving I have had door mounted mirrors on some of my other Studes and that is a better position for them, functionally.

I have used this method to install seatbelts. Not on an Avanti but other Studes... Mounting the seatbelts is simply get the car on a hoist and find the brackets with the holes, poke a pin up through the carpet and use an exacto to perforate the carpet for the bolt. Install and drive safe.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 6:55 PM, studegary said:

Yes, seat belts were an option, however, on Avanti models front seat belts were included at extra cost unless the Avanti was ordered with them deleted.  

On the Avanti orders that included the seat belt option, the seat belts were included but not installed.